supply line to cistern leak...help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the middle of fitting a new fluidmaster fill valve to our upstairs loo to replace the old ball type one which was making the dreaded foghorn noise.

I've got it all back together and am just trying to reconnect the mains supply. Problem is that I can't seem to stop a small leak coming from where the nut from the mains feed lifts up and screws onto the plastic shaft of the new fill valve. (it's an old rigid pipe not the newer flexible one). I'm a bit paranoid about over tightening it as I know these things can strip the thread easily.

What surprises me is that there does not seem to be a washer located inside the nut and instead the screw just brings the metal pipe inside the nut up against the hard plastic thread of the fill valve. I checked the old fill valve and again there didn't seem to have been a washer either (but no leak either!) Again, just hard plastic on metal so I'm not surprised there's a leak.

Any suggestions: PTFE tape? a rubber washer? seems a bit excessive to call a plumber!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There would have been a fibre washer but chances are what's left of it is now under the nut and flanged pipe, when you unscrewed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back