Outbuiilding max height 4 metres from dpc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i'm a tad confused. Building an outbuilding at the rear of the garden. I'm aware that the max height in order to satisfy a 'permitted development' is 4metres.

We have had to install beam block flooring as we had clay soil. This has meant that the floor has been raised. Equally our DPC course is 5 bricks up after the telescopic vents.

In complying with the 4 metre height the Planning chap has suggested its from the ground literally regardless of where the floor or dpc lies.. The floor has a slope. He suggests its from the lowest end. The building inspector and my builder sing from the same hymn sheet when they say that the dpc level = the spot from where the 4 mtrs are calculated. I am stuck. Could someone please clear this up for me?!

Also in terms of eaves length the building regs say max = 2.5mtrs. My builder has suggesed that this refers to the 2.5 metres from ground level in the room itself to ceiling ridge not from the external. Again the building regs do not confirm whether eaves height refers to internal or external.. please help again. I dont want the building to turn out to be unlawful and at risk.

Sponsored Links
For planning purposes the height is taken from the highest point of the ground around the development

Floor or DPC level is irrelevent

This does not mean that you can build up the ground, but rather a common sense judgement of where the natural or established ground level actually is

For the eaves height, it is from the external ground to the top of eaves tiles, not the bottom of the soffit nor the rafters etc.
There are no eaves inside a building :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back