Outbuilding Planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I need to draw plans and submit to the council for an outbuilding at the rear of my garden to be used as storage and the property next door (that I own) I am looking to add steps in between the two outbuilding due to the height different (will the most likely reject planning?)

And last but not least, any free easy to use online sketch tools to draw and submit or am I better off using a ruler and pencil? The outbuilding will be just a square box with a pitch roof.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Plan dimensions usually have little to do with it - it's more-often-than-not down to height and position.

Sponsored Links
Basically, this question is impossible to answer on the information provided. We might as well pluck an answer from the air.

Plan dimensions usually have little to do with it - it's more-often-than-not down to height and position.

Basically, this question is impossible to answer on the information provided. We might as well pluck an answer from the air.

Thank you for your reply, I have attached a plan to help you understand. In regards to the height I will stick to the eaves height of 2.5m from floor to pitch 4m.

Attachments

• IMG_5226.png
    IMG_5226.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 322
for an outbuilding at the rear of my garden
and the property next door (that I own)
I am looking to add steps in between the two outbuilding

The outbuilding will be just a square box with a pitch roof.

What does all this mean?

One outbuilding or two?
What are the steps for? (Don't anyone say walking up or down)

for an outbuilding at the rear of my garden
and the property next door (that I own)
I am looking to add steps in between the two outbuilding

The outbuilding will be just a square box with a pitch roof.

What does all this mean?

One outbuilding or two?
What are the steps for? (Don't anyone say walking up or down)

Hi Woody, I am looking to build a storage shed at the back of my two gardens, the next door property I also own...

Since the property are on different levels, I am thinking or adding steps in-between to join them up, or I might just leave them as stand alone...

Then, if this work is not permitted development, you will need to do two planning applications - one for each property.

Steps wont be a planning issue, but any platform or verandah or suchlike will need to conform to PD or be included in the planning application.

I suspect that the planners will want these two sheds to be built as two separate units, as if the two properties were in separate ownership. Steps or platform could be joined, but no access from within one shed via the other.

Then, if this work is not permitted development, you will need to do two planning applications - one for each property.

Steps wont be a planning issue, but any platform or verandah or suchlike will need to conform to PD or be included in the planning application.

I suspect that the planners will want these two sheds to be built as two separate units, as if the two properties were in separate ownership. Steps or platform could be joined, but no access from within one shed via the other.

Thank you for that Woody, I was thinking to do two stand alone units. As apposed to planning do I need it? If I do, I will be doing the plans myself can you recommend any easy to use planning software?

Thank you

I can't recommend any software, but there are several free ones available - even AutoCad has a free version now.

But the learning curve, and the setting up of a template and all that, would probably mean that for two square sheds, you might as well draw them on paper. You don't need a lot of detail for a planning application.

Do some research on permitted development criteria, and see if you can make your sheds conform to that. But, don't compromise unnecessarily. If you want bigger sheds, and they won't affect anyone else, then don't be afraid of putting in a full planning application

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back