Outbuilding to Granny Annex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of years back, we constructed an ancillary outbuilding at the end of our garden. The outbuilding is predominately used for playing games/social get-together.
Due to recent family bereavement we have our elderly in-law living with us.
We would like to convert our outbuilding (PP/BC) to GA to accommodate MiL. Fortunately, the outbuilding has a separate room and toilet/shower, seems we just need to install a kitchenette for it to become self-contained annex.
Do we need to apply for PP or it would be best to go direct to BC for change of use?

cheers
p.s i am unable to post above in the Building Regulations and Planning Permission forum, keep getting error message.

Sponsored Links
would the moderator please move this thread to the Building Regulations and Planning Permission forum, thanks.

Sponsored Links
A question for mods!

Every time i click on new thread button in the Building Regulations and Planning Permission forum, am keep getting the above thread appears by default.

I logged out/in a few times, cleared the cookies but unable to get rid of the default thread, its like i got sticky there, lol.

You need planning permission.
Called our council and they asked me to write to BC explaining what needs to be done, the person answered the phone didn’t think i need PP as the outbuilding already granted one.

I have dropped an email to BC explaining the current situation.

Normally they would want to put conditions on the use, to stop a granny being shipped out to a home and 20 Romanians shipped in.

The existing permission would not normally say it can be used as residential accomodation, but I suppose it will be in the detail.

the person answered the phone didn’t think i need PP as the outbuilding already granted one.
Bit confusing?

You need to check the decision document as Woody said if you already applied and had granted planning permission. If you had an 'ancillary outbuilding' approved (as per your original post) you're going to need permission to use it for a non ancillary use.

If you didnt have permssion because you built it under PD as an ancillary outbuilding, then you'll need permission to use it for a non ancillary use

There he goes with the blessed Romanians again. What's that now, fifth time at least?

Admittedly, I'd have to look that up - but I think anti-ageing cream is one of their's - so a godsend for the likes of us.

Not the aqueduct then? Or sanitation, irrigation, education, medicine ........ ?

Response from BC

Proposed Conversion of Outbuilding to Self-Contained Accommodation

At XXXXXX

Thank you for your recent building notice submission.
I can confirm the correct charges are £840.00, if you have not already done so, please make your payment by either forwarding a cheque, or via our Contact Centre on xxxxx where payment can be made by Credit/Debit Card.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back