Outbuilding to Granny Annex

Sponsored Links
How did they work it out? Should be based on value of the building work.

Or get a quote from an approved inspector.

That work is not much more than a garage conversion.

How did they work it out? Should be based on value of the building work.

Or get a quote from an approved inspector.

That work is not much more than a garage conversion.

Its beyond me how they managed to work that out, they asked me to send existing and proposed drawings.

The work needed (clearly indicated on the drawings) was addition of a kitchenette, that’s all, (bathroom and a (bed)room already exist) so naturally rest of the outbuilding remains unaffected.

Sponsored Links
Ask them to justify their costs.

"The £840.00 is a standard charge when a dwelling is formed either by being newly constructed or by a material change of use.
We currently have your proposed floor plan, please provide an existing layout so that we can give you an individually assessed charge quotation."

Received above message despite sending them existing and proposed plans, resending proposed plan.

:!:
why are you resending proposed plan when they requested the existing layout.:?:

I guess thats one way of justifying the excessive charge, lol.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious typo, you are rigth it should have been typed existing!

Might be easier to just move to a better Local Authority, yours sounds hopeless. I paid £206 for a planning application then £200 for a Full Plans BUilding Control application for a loft conversion and decent sized extension. Then £570 for all the inspections to go with that. Your costs are ridiculous.

Might be easier to just move to a better Local Authority
lol.

I paid £206 for a planning application then £200 for a Full Plans BUilding Control application for a loft conversion and decent sized extension. Then £570 for all the inspections to go with that. Your costs are ridiculous.
Above sounds about right, i know its ridiculous what they have asked me to pay, may be chancing the opportunity? Anyway, I am hopeful that some sort of sense would be reinstated.

'Thank you for your recent building notice submission.
I can confirm the correct charges are £840.00'
I paid £206 for a planning application then £200 for a Full Plans BUilding Control application for a loft conversion and decent sized extension. Then £570 for all the inspections to go with that.
200 plus 570= £770 . £840 not massive amount more at £70 difference :!:

Yes, if you add those numbers up they're similar, but the OP has only submitted a Building Notice, so knock £406 off for the planning permission and Full Plans. Then bear in mind my charges relate to two projects, both of which will involve a lot more inspection than what the OP is proposing and......

Yes, if you add those numbers up they're similar, but the OP has only submitted a Building Notice, so knock £406 off for the planning permission and Full Plans. Then bear in mind my charges relate to two projects, both of which will involve a lot more inspection than what the OP is proposing and......
:confused: I was comparing the building control charges, you quoted
£200 for a Full Plans BUilding Control application for a loft conversion and decent sized extension. Then £570 for all the inspections to go with that.
- which is £770 surely :!:
so knock £406 off for the planning permission and Full Plans.
why :?: planning is separate from building control, and why knock £200 off for the full plans submission charge :?: comparing building control charges there is £70 difference.

Update:
Thank you for your response.
Your request has been forwarded to a Building Control Surveyor and you should receive an individually assessed charge sometime over the next few days.

Progress?

Doesn't your local authority have a standard schedule of fees :?: My LA ( in fact all LA's I have dealt with ) has standard charges for different categories of work under schedules 1,2A,2B and 3 (with some exceptions)
They are open to negotiation on fees but that is generally for larger developments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back