Outdoor cable / flex for fence lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to add 7 or 8 LED down lights to my fence. I have an outdoor FCU which an electrician installed when they added a 230v socket to my decking, so I could easily connect in the lights.

My question is regarding the cable size. The run is approx 40m. Given the 40m run between the first and last light will 1.5mm2 hituf cable / flex be ok, or would I need to use 2.5mm2? The cable will be clipped to the rear of the fence (no houses on the other side of the fence).

Or would you suggest an alternative cable / flex?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you intend to use 240 V LEDs or Extra Low Voltage LEDs, via a transformer?
Also, do you want them to be controlled by a "Light Sensor"?

Do you intend to use 240 V LEDs or Extra Low Voltage LEDs, via a transformer?
Also, do you want them to be controlled by a "Light Sensor"?
Thanks for the reply.

Lights will be 230V and will be controlled via a wireless smart switch located near the FCU.

Total wattage across all lights would be less than 50W.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can run a high wattage garden tool like a hedge trimmer on a 1.5 mm trailing cable so for 50 watts 1.5mm should suffice. Hi-tuff is acceptable but more vulnerable than swa so ensure it is rcd protected.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back