Outdoor cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have no clue about electrics beyond wiring a plug so could somebody tell me if I am running a length of cable along the ground to a shed do I need a special type of cable or is the regular heavy duty stuff for hedge trimmers etc waterproof enough to leave outside. The actual plug and light fitting are perfectly dry, its just whether the cable itself can be penetrated by water I'm bothered about.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
As much as i hate to say it but if your knowladge of electrics only goes as far as wiring a plug and you dont know that pvc is waterproof should you be attempting this? no offence
you need to use swa for a shed or 2.5t&e run in conduit, 2.5 if its a short run, if its longer you may need to use bigger stuff, tell us how far it is away from the house, also it will need rcd protection and its bes off its own 20amp mcb in the cu

AR

Thanks for the help, although much of it was gobblydegook to me. I thought it was waterproof, but a friend told me it wasn't so I got a bit nervous. :confused:

Regarding the other things you said, its (from the packaging) 1.0mm 2 core flex, 25metres long, as I say both ends are perfectly dry, with a circuit breaker on the plug. I'll put it in conduit too.

pollocka said:
Thanks for the help, although much of it was gobblydegook to me. I thought it was waterproof, but a friend told me it wasn't so I got a bit nervous. :confused:

Regarding the other things you said, its (from the packaging) 1.0mm 2 core flex, 25metres long, as I say both ends are perfectly dry, with a circuit breaker on the plug. I'll put it in conduit too.

1mm is too small also it needs an earth, so three cores will be required,
i would aduise 2.5mm with a 13amp fuse and an rcd plug if you intend to plug it in rather than hard wire it in.

AR

Sponsored Links
he problem with your idea is it is dangerous and should not be done.

The cable may break down in cold weather (its comming) and become dangerous, also as it has no mechanical protection it will be easy to cut.

what is the cost of a life against having the job done properly.

also remember electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back