outdoor electrics plan

I know it's not a DIY job, that's never been suggested
The design part of design, construction, inspection and testing has been suggested as a DIY activity.

however this is a DIY forum for seeking advice no?
It is, and you have had very good quality advice.

Problem is you're starting to look like one of those people who comes here having already decided what sort of advice he should get and doesn't like it when he turns out to be mistaken.

Sponsored Links
nos, the fundamental problem is that outside electrics is not a DIY job.
We are being told that it is not going to be DIYed but, if that were being suggested/proposed, I would suggest that the fact that the work is (just about) outside would probably be the least of the problems. I would have thought that the OP would still be advised not to DIY this work, even if it were entirely indoors.

Kind Regards, John
Indeed.

Imagine this:

screenshot_178.jpg

Everything wrong with the OP's design is just as wrong there - the locations are immaterial.

however this is a DIY forum for seeking advice no?
It is, and you have had very good quality advice. ... Problem is you're starting to look like one of those people who comes here having already decided what sort of advice he should get and doesn't like it when he turns out to be mistaken.
I totally disagree:
Cheers for the helpful advice John. If it can only be a new radial circuit then that's what it will have to be, will see what the sparks say and will take a look at we can get a cable from the CU to where it needs to be.
Will speak to the electrician about it all, but thanks for your help, is all a bit clearer now.
Where is the evidence that the OP had decided what advice he wanted and didn't like it when he got some other advice?

Kind Regards, John

The design part of design, construction, inspection and testing has been suggested as a DIY activity.

by whom?

Problem is you're starting to look like one of those people who comes here having already decided what sort of advice he should get and doesn't like it when he turns out to be mistaken

I think you're getting confused, I came to the forum with an idea of what I wanted along with a plan/diagram, which as pointed out was incorrectly "designed". JohnW2 has kindly assisted and offered some constructive advice which looks correct. When I speak to the electricians, I'm now armed with a better idea of how we can achieve what I want, but clearly the final design will be down to them as they'll be doing the installation and signing it off.

I'm not sure where you are coming from tbh

Sponsored Links
By you, when you came here and said that "The electrical work will be done by the contractor so all signed off etc" but quite clearly indicated that you were attempting to design what the contractor would install etc.

This is the declaration on an Electrical Installation Certificate:

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

If you intend to present your electrician with a diagram and say "do this" then you are acting as the designer.

Moving to a different thread would be fine - but different forum is a bit different. Not the least because of a lot of what goes on there, I don't 'do' the "General Discussion" forum, and I'm not not sure I necessarily want to even be seen to be associated with that place - so I'm not all that impressed by seeing posts of mine appearing there!

Kind Regards, John

Moderators - I'm not happy that you've removed my legitimate response to ban-all-sheds incorrect observations.... pasted below again... also when you've moved the posts to another thread, they clearly aren't in the same order as they were before

By you, when you came here and said that "The electrical work will be done by the contractor so all signed off etc" but quite clearly indicated that you were attempting to design what the contractor would install etc.

This is the declaration on an Electrical Installation Certificate:

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

If you intend to present your electrician with a diagram and say "do this" then you are acting as the designer.

I think you're taking things out of context in poor transparent way to justify your inarticulate ramblings tbh

You're suggesting that a qualified electrician will take whatever "design" you throw at them and install it? without questioning it and doing it the right way? That's pretty insulting to every qualified electrician out there don't you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back