Outdoor garden office/studio sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm about to buy an outdoor office for my wife so she can do her hobby in that in peace. It's very impressive, electrics already in and just needs an electrician to wire up to the fuse box, lights in... Pretty much ready to go. However, we do feel she will need water and a sink. She will Not need very much at all and there will be no food waste or extremely dirty waste water. The office is going a good 10m from the house and directly across the garden. I would firstly struggle with running mains to it, I'd be reluctant to make such a mess across the garden (electrics runs around the garden) as I presume it would need a rigid pipe running directly to it? I'm also concerned about the added cost.

I was wondering about having a caravan style pump system but we would want a nice modern looking sink and I don't know how that works - do you need a specific tap that turns on the pump or is it just a switch you press before turning the tap on? There wouldn't be much water being used so waste would go directly to a waste container just like a caravan. Her idea is to sometimes have lessons in there and a sink would look much nicer than bringing the water from the house in a standing jug, which would be the only other option.

So your opinions and help would be appreciated. To summarise,

Am I right in thinking it would be a costly and messy/difficult job running water to it (as with mains running water, you'd certainly need a proper drainage as well I expect)
Is the caravan pump idea a possibility if we want a nice sink and tap or would I need a caravan tap?

I admit, bringing it from the house is an easy and obvious option but I think it's more about the looks of having a sink in place with running water and it looking more professional than a jug.

Any help appreciated.

Craynerd

Sponsored Links
Getting the electrics and water to the office is easy enough but have you given thought to getting the water out from the office to the drains yet? Do you know where the drains are?

Yes, exactly and why in my opinion it becomes a bigger job! The kitchen would be the nearest point and the easiest point to tap into for water. The drains are in the identical location.

So as water flows downhill can you do it without a pump is really my point. Something like this - Toolstation item 84986.

Sponsored Links
10m isn't a massive distance in the grand scheme of things, all depends how much effort you want to make. Water supply, if your using mains water then it'll need to be run from the house, 20mm blue MDPE, at about 760mm deep if you don't want it to freeze in the winter, and appropriately lagged at either end.

Drainage, TBH for what you're doing I'd be inclined to run the waste water into a small holding tank under the building and a suitable submersible pump to get rid of it back to the kitchen drain.

[QUOTE="Hugh Jaleak,

Drainage, TBH for what you're doing I'd be inclined to run the waste water into a small holding tank under the building and a suitable submersible pump to get rid of it back to the kitchen drain.[/QUOTE]

With full access of course or put the one I linked to inside as they are very quiet.

Mods : Am I allowed to mention that I have one for sale? (Feel free to edit if I`m out of line).

Then add all the fittings, nrv etc but yeah know what you mean, mines only £100 + postage, new old stock.

as soon as you put water into the building and need drains, then are you aware that it becomes a planning and building regs issue, where as at the minute there probably no issues with you just buying and locating your posh shed.

Is this purely just for drinking water for the students that may be coming to the office/workshop? If do then why not save the hassle of plumbing and drainage for the occasional use and look at something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...dispensers&dpPl=1&dpID=31XUgEfW5UL&ref=plSrch

There's hundreds of these and this isn't a recommendation just an idea. You would be able to find something that suited your needs.

Jon.

Hi guys, a lot to think about.

Firstly, I wasn't aware that running water to it immediately made it a job for building regs so in which case, that's a no go. Is that just for drains or would it be the case if I just ran water in (and pumped out to drains as has been suggested?)

It is for drinking but it is also for hand washing. Yes, I appreciate it is cold water but a hand rinse in cold water is better than no hand rinse. There will also be hot water from a kettle so if need be, the sink could be filled with warm water.

I'm going to be honest with you... It is just the principle of most studios will have a sink and so a sink is needed! I understand it sounds daft.

Water in and then a holding tank to water out and pumping it to the drain is certainly a good idea. Has anyone still any suggestions regarding a pressurised holding tank for the water in like s caravan? I'm also thinking that For the real small amount of water used, the unit below the sink could hold the water and waste water tanks! It also means I don't need to drill though the office wall...which I'm already concerned about waterproofness! That said, I am being talked into plumping water in!

Cheers

I'm going to be honest with you...

So why not give us full disclosure as to what you need then!! FFS Drinking water, hand washing, paint brush cleaning?, clay residue? If you want to be honest then explain what you want and you will get a proper response!! It's the internet not a ****1ng crystal ball!!!

Aquaheat - you suggested a drinking dispenser but in my original message I mentioned dirty water so clearly you haven't read it!!
I've already said I need a tap and I won't be using much water. Water won't be particularly dirty (no food stuff and no solids). Drinking, hand rinse and water for massage and pedicure just looks nicer to pour from a sink than a jug. Also the physical sink could be used for very light rinsing and washing of equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back