Outdoor junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On one of my outside wall in the garden, I have a rusty outdoor round junction box that connects a cable from the house to the underground cable that leads to the garage. What's the best way to replace it as I don't seem to find those boxes anymore? Would an outside enclosure do the job? Would I still need a rubber gland or could I simply use a gommet?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
is the underground cable an armoured cable with a steel braid? It should be.

There are various techniques but it depends on what cable you have and the directions they come into/out of the box.

A photo would be helpful

Sponsored Links
You could use these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Joints_1/index.html

Or these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._Index/Joints_Resin_Filled/index.html[/QUOTE]

Not for a cable joint fixed to the wall.

A gewiss type moulded enclosure, TRS gland, SWA gland and a Piranhna nut.

m2-lkveU4WVFU-sFyNMkHxg.jpg

and we don't even know if it's SWA yet

He did say it was fixed to a round rusted junction box, this could either be a round JB, in which case it'd be interesting to see the SWA termination, or I guess it could be a conduit box

I'm guessing its a conduit box with a gland in one end for the (again guessing) SWA.
Particularly given that the box (of whatever nature) is apparently old and rusty (as an indication of the probably age of the arrangement), I'm not sure that I'd put too much money on it being SWA. Even in my very limited experience, some of the power feeds to garages seem to be 'very interesting'!

Kind Regards, John

Could be micc
You're thinking of 'good' possibilities - it could be flex (of any type), 'T&E in hosepipe' (which is what I inherited as the supply to my garage, many moons ago) or almost anything else!

Kind Regards, John

You can guess as much as you like. I'm witing for this:
I'll investigate further and take a pic over the weekend.
Indeed. You've wise to wit. As I wrote, in addition to the suggestions about SWA an MICC ...
... it could be flex (of any type), 'T&E in hosepipe' (which is what I inherited as the supply to my garage, many moons ago) or almost anything else!

Kind Regards, John.

Are we allowed more than one guess?

- the bell wire that was sitting in the shed
- that piece of coax left over from fitting a new aerial
- the remains of a 1958 Morris Minor's wiring loom

Drumroll please...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back