Outdoor lighting circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you're all keeping well.

We're embarking on some building work on the house shortly, and we're getting a lot of the garden landscaped. I'm a keen DIY'er and would like to get involved in the build as much as possible. Being a cable enthusiast and having done internal electrics myself (extended ring main, replaced plugs, assisted with new consumer unit, installed 400m of CAT6) I'm keen to give the outdoor electrics a go for the outdoor lighting.

The reason I'm posting, is that I do not have a clue where to start when it comes to laying high and low voltage cable outside (okay, I get some bits will have to be armored) - but I'd like some advice on what cables I need to lay in order for the electrician to "connect them up". How I can connect them into the garage (where they will be powered from) - and how I can make them be switched on/off by an internal switch inside the property.

I've attached the plan I'm having created, however can someone please let me know what type of cables I need to run throughout the garden.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John.

Attachments

• LightingDesign.png
    LightingDesign.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
First you need to understand what high and low voltage are.

Mains is low voltage.
12 volt is extra low voltage.
You won't be using high voltage.

Ah okay - sorry, I thought 240v was high voltage :)

It will be a mix of 12v and 240v - I have done further Googling, and in looks like I should be digging a 2' trench with SWA for all - regardless of 12v/240v - is this correct? Also, do I need to place it in ducting, or is SWA sunk deep enough acceptable? Also, what size of core do I need (1.5mm or 2.5mm)?

Last edited:
It will be a mix of 12v and 240v - I have done further Googling, and in looks like I should be digging a 2' trench with SWA for all - regardless of 12v/240v ...
How long will these cable runs be, and what is thye 12V going to be supplying? Unless they are short cable runs and/or you use enormous cable, you could well run into problems of voltage drop in the 12V circuits.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
They are for outdoor LED lighting. The maximum single run will be 10 meters. The 240v run will be for the gate post lighting which is not LED.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back