Outdoor plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to put a mains water supply in my garage to move my washing machine into the garage. Problem is I cannot bury the pipe without digging up a 6 inch thick concrete drive which I do not want to have to do unless absolutely necessary.
I do have an external tap direct from the mains I could use this as a water source but what pipe do I use and where do I run it and will it need insulation as it will be exposed to the weather. Also how do I protect it against any damage by things being knocked into it, kids bikes etc. Tap is about 10 metres from the garage.
All input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Comus69

Sponsored Links
I want to put a mains water supply in my garage to move my washing machine into the garage. Problem is I cannot bury the pipe without digging up a 6 inch thick concrete drive which I do not want to have to do unless absolutely necessary.
You just need to be slightly inventive.

For example, 15mmx25mm foam pipe insulation has a diameter of about 2.5", so would fit nicely inside some 3" drainpipe. You could then run a 10m (or whatever) length of 15mm plastic pipe through the middle.

You could achieve the same thing with 20mm MDPE and 22mmx12mm insulation inside 50mm waste pipe.

However, no amount of insulation will stop the water freezing if you leave it in sub-zero conditions for long enough, but you could counter that with a heat trace:

http://www.heat-trace.ltd.uk/applications/industrial/freeze_pro.html

:eek: a bit over engineered for a domestic installation to a garage, IMHO

Which bit is over-engineered?

1. The water-carrying pipe;
2. The insulation;
3. The mechanical protection;
4. The optional anti-freezing suggestion.

:?:

And do you have a solution to the problem that isn't over-engineered?

If not, what's the purpose of you posting on this forum?

Sponsored Links
do you have a solution to the problem that isn't over-engineered?

Over Engineered! :eek: The likelihood of Freezing in this situation given the OPs requirements/wants/needs, is high.

Outside temperatures in winter can be very harsh and if the science is right then they are set to get lower and lower (but that's another discussion for another thread/time).

The solution provided by Softus is absolutely spot on.

the optional antifreeze protection via "constant power heating cables !!" (heat traces) imho of course

Well, any ground run water pipe would need to be buried 750mm deep minimum so if there is solid concrete in the way Softus's idea's sound good.

It would be a bit intrusive/visual but hey, that's the trade off. It maybe possible to fit a drain off point and air admitance to allow draining for winter nights/days and switching back on when you want to use (if you didn't want a permanent anti freeze solution) but that maybe too difficult to achieve.

Hi Guys thanks for all the iput, I have bought the drain pipe, had a quote for the trace heating so going ahead with this in next month or so.

The drain point is not a bad idea, might also use this, but our washer is on constantly!

Thanks again
Comus69

Fit an unvented cylinder with a secondary return pumped constantly roundto the washing machine and freezing problem is cured, no its ok , dont thank me,you all know it makes sense.

Its going to need an RCD and steel wire armour/6mm three core and 40amp breaker...........

This is ELECTRICs UK isn't it?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Which bit is over-engineered?
the optional antifreeze protection via "constant power heating cables !!" (heat traces) imho of course
Fine. Use another method then.

And do you have a solution to the problem that isn't over-engineered?

If not, what's the purpose of you posting on this forum?

No.

Its going to need an RCD and steel wire armour/6mm three core and 40amp breaker...........

Hey, my post was "off subject" but funny. I love people with a sense of humour+intelligence (you can have both) :D

i agree with the over engineered guy. this is way over the top. i would use plastic barrier pipe which has a lower freezing point than copper pipe insulated with armaflex class o exterior lagging with a 25mm wall thickness and zip tie it every foot or o to anything handy.....job done while your still shoppin for your heat trace gear!:cool:

i would use plastic barrier pipe which has a lower freezing point than copper pipe insulated with armaflex class o exterior lagging with a 25mm wall thickness

How does plastic freeze?

Do you realise you have replied to a year old discussion thread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back