Outdoor prep - cable for future

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! First post, having already been digging around for rendering tips...but for now I have a different question I’m hoping you can help with.

I was going to lay a couple of cables while I’m building my garden (eg, down the side of planters) so that when the time’s right and I get a sparky to actually do the work, I would have to dig up my garden.

What would I need to run? Google suggests 1.5mm 3 core for lights but my neighbour had said he’d run 2.5mm.

I love DIY, I love trying new things but I am terrified of electronics - not that I’m allowed to do the work anyway, but laying the cable seems sensible now and just sealing it up for later, so thanks for your advice in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I did wonder the same, but figured that as the longest will likely be 20-25m and have maybe 3x 90 degree turns, that that might be fiddly to feed a cable all the way through?

Sponsored Links
why go smaller?
Keep it big so then the kids hamster can run back and forth when it escapes :)

So simple but that totally makes sense.

It is better to use a plaited/braided rope rather than a simple rope made of of twisted fibres. When a twisted fibre rope is under tension it tends to un-twist at the ends. This then twists up the cables being pulled into the duct.

If pulling only a single cable this is not a problem ( as long as the cable is not damaged by being twisted )
If pulling more than one cable then the cables will be twisted around each other. Not a problem until one of them needs to be replaced,

If a new draw cord is being pulled in with the cables then will be twisted with the cables and thus may not be usable to pull in additional cables.

This is one source of value for money braided cord. https://www.cheaprope.co.uk/braided-polypropylene-cord-c-4000_9327.html

To get a draw cord into a duct requires light fishing line ( or other light weight but string thread ), a lump of cotton wool and a vacuum cleaner.

If the duct could have got water into it then use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner

We used to blow them through with compressed air, probably get a written warning for that now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back