Outdoor protection/Finish for large plank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to obtain a large piece of sycamore about 2" thick and still with the edge bark on both edges.
Thinking of turning it into a table top but what's the best thing to enhance it and protect it outdoors?

Sponsored Links
I've managed to obtain a large piece of sycamore about 2" thick and still with the edge bark on both edges.
Thinking of turning it into a table top but what's the best thing to enhance it and protect it outdoors?

I hate to be negative but Sycamore is not durable, so dont expect it to have a great lifespan outside.

I expect its a pretty pale colour with brown streaks -so you propably want a clear finish, however any clear treatment will provide no UV protection.

If you dont mind retreating quite often then a danish oil type finish will be easy to apply. A clear varnish would be best, but a 2" slab, especially if it has the heart in it, will move around a fair bit and will crack a varnish type coating -like yacht varnish. Be aware danish oil generally turns things a bit yellow after a few coats.

Sponsored Links
As it was an offcut from a larger piece it didn't cost much so not too worried if it doesn't work out as planned.
As an alternative I'll be able to cut it down and try some wood turning on it eventually.
Thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back