Outdoor security light question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mornin all

I am having alot of problems with kids trying to break in round the back of my property, so i'm wanting to fit a couple of anti-vandal security lights.
Here's a link of the fitting I've bought:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33930...ty-Lighting/Bulkheads/Bulkhead-Hi-Lo-IP44-60W

Problem is that it says max 60W bulb + says it doesn't recommend low energy bulbs. But as it's an outside light I want an equivalant of at least 100W light.

Is it possible to put in a 20W low energy instant light bulb (giving equivalent of 100W) into this fitting without any problems?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use a 20W CFL bulb. However experience shows that when they are encased in these types of bulk head or other enclosures that the bulb life is reduced as they seem to need ventilation to operate to their optimum.

Your idea is electrically safe, but may be uneconomic.

Thanks rjb

If they need ventilation to work properly, would it be an idea to drill in a few small ventilation holes into the side of the unit?

It's unfortunate screwfix dont sell the equivalent of a floodlight, but with it being anti vandal at the same time, as I'm sure the kids will try to smash what ever is up there.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ighting_Bulkheads_Index/Bulkhead_1/index.html

Screwfix is the anti-christ!! (in my humble optinion) Take it back and buy above or similar. I did a very quick search and found this in about 5 seconds there are plenty of 100w bulk heads out there.

I wouldn't drill holes in your bulkhead as it will be have a IP rating (protection rating) for it's intended enviroment use and you may compromise it's protection by taking the Black and Decker to it.

If you use a CFL and for arguments sake its only 50% normal life in housing. CFL life is very high (2000 hours+) and cost about £1.50 per bulb. So reducing it by half then 75p every 1000 hours then so what. The main downside may be inconvience of changing the bulb.

Sponsored Links
I beg to differ!

That fitting should *not* be used with a CFL, its not going to like it when it dims down! :eek:

May I suggest a CFL compatable photocell fitting fitted with a CFL:confused: (just make sure that the photocell is suitable... if its electronic it needs to state that its suitable for reactive loads)

forget bloomin cfl's (can't be used with photocells) and 100w lights. get a PIR 500w halogen light. They are pretty bright and dont dim for 5 mins when they power up like a CFL. try this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AATHFPIR.html
you can switch it ;)

or... try a Sodium lamp (the ones that give off the huge orange glow) for integrity. that would do the job. and its cheaper.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TCPRO70SPC.html
lamp included with photocell (dawn 2 dusk) and control gear.

hope i help ;)

shotgun filled with rocksalt shells and a flashlight taped to the barrel..

one spray of rocksalt and they'll never come back...

:evil:

cheers for the advice cheesepuff................but your recommendations could be taken out by a couple of accuratly thrown stones..........what then? We've got so many smashed floodlights round the area it's unreal. :rolleyes:

If you could get the same intensity of light, but anti-vandal, i'd go for it......................but from where + how much?

It looks as though I'm gonna have to go with the screwfix option as i've lost the receipt, i'm gonna fit 20W bulbs + cross me fingers............if it means having to change the bulbs every year or so it's worth it i think. I'd rather spend £3 on a bulb yearly, instead of replacing broken lights/windows/door handles etc.

Any one offer an alternative?

I don't think your lamp will work with CFLs because it has a dimmer

I use CFLs with photocell lamps. the lamp makers say you shouldn't but I have found nothing wrong with it. Neither lamp nor photoswitches have failed early.

I have one with the lamp mounted from the bottom (so the heat rises away from its electronics) and they last for years and years and years.

I have another with the lamp mounted from the top so the heat must rise towards the controls, and that only lasts about two years :LOL: 8hrs a night

Because CFLs are now so cheap, I find it isn't worth paying the extra for a photocell. I have a porch light with an 8W tube in it that has been lit continuously for at least ten years. I am on the third tube. The cost of a new lamp with photocell switch is greater than the cost of the electricity and the tubes. There is also energy and materials wastage in manufacture of a new lamp fitting which i have avoided.

In your case I would suggest a few dusk-to-dawn lanterns or globes, and one or more 300W PIR floods to draw attention to intruders. A yappy dog is also useful.

You also need to improve your fences and get more sharp-spiked bushes. Berberis and holly are good.

I must again warn you from using that hi-lo fitting from screwfix with a CF lamp. it is a Hi-Lo fitting which definatly should not be used with a ordinary CFL (A high end dimmable cfl would be needed along with a fitting that can cope with reactive loads)

Using a CFL in the screwfix fitting you linked to risks premature failure of not just the lamp, but of the electronics in the fitting as well, along with presenting a bit of a fire risk!

May I recommend a vandal-resistant low energy photocell bulkhead fitting instead? http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74383...kheads/Low-Energy-Prism-Photocell-Bulkhead-9W

yes, you can put a CFL in that .

It may need to be a stumpy one though - some 20W tubulars are quite long.

I see now it has a PIR.

Try a few brands of CFL, some are slow to warm up (usually the cheaper ones)

Some people may complai about using a PIR on a CFL, but, at that price, I wouldn't be concerned. looks like a good buy.

Remember that as it has a PIR, it will not be on for long periods, so a tungsten lamp will not cost much and will not get very hot.

NB it needs an Edison Screw lamp

Thats a PIR fitting, which brings up two problems.

It'll be comming on for short durations, the CFL will just get up to a reasonable brightness, and then go off!, and life will be reduced as well!

The other is, you have to assume that electronic switching will be incompatable with a CFL unless it states otherwise.

oh, and then there is the 'enclosed' issue again!

To be quite honest, not only is using a CFL with a PIR fitting a bad idea... its also a pointless one... the amount of time its actually on for.. you may as well use a normal GLS lamp!

Either use a fitting like that with a GLS lamp, or use a low energy photocell fitting like the one I linked to

hope this helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back