Outdoor security light upgrade - grey pvc cables *VIDEO*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are grey cables running on the outside wall (for about 1m) to the existing security light. This cable is attached to the lighting circuit in the house.I'm replacing the security light with a new led one. The new light comes with a black cable preinstalled

I'm assuming the black signifies that it is waterproof and UV resistant. So I need to connect the black cable to the grey one.

My questions are:
  1. what can I do to the exposed part of the grey cable to make it suitable for outdoor use?
  2. Can you recommend me a ip68 junction box and glands?
You can see the security light (kind of) right at the beginning of this video. From 0.00 to 0.02 - look in the top left corner

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you really want to do it right, you’ll be wanting to run the grey twin and earth cable in a plastic conduit which will involve removing the cable from where it is clipped to the walls, fitting the conduit and then pulling the twin and earth through it. At the light end of the conduit you would fit a conduit junction box and make your terminations between twin and earth and the black light flex inside of it. Obviously all of this whilst the supply is dead.

If you really want to do it right, you’ll be wanting to run the grey twin and earth cable in a plastic conduit which will involve removing the cable from where it is clipped to the walls, fitting the conduit and then pulling the twin and earth through it. At the light end of the conduit you would fit a conduit junction box and make your terminations between twin and earth and the black light flex inside of it. Obviously all of this whilst the supply is dead.
Thanks @bhm1712. I've had an afterthought. I think those grey cables go through the wall and underneath the floorboards. Coincidentally the floorboards in that room are lifted. I'm not there right now to check. But if I'm right.. I can pull the grey cables inside and then feed the black cable supplied with the light through the hole and wagobox them up on the inside. No IP68 box required. Sound like a plan? Maybe use one of these as the black cable goes through the wall https://www.toolstation.com/cable-entry-cover/p91995

By the way this is the light ive ordered
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086GMYG83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wondering if I still need a conduit under this new plan? can that black cable be left exposed? (obviously clipped - but exposed)

Sponsored Links
wondering if I still need a conduit under this new plan? can that black cable be left exposed? (obviously clipped - but exposed)
The 'new plan', if it proves possible, sounds like the ideal. The black cable can be left exposed.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure plastic conduit outside is ever 'right' anyway, what with it sagging, often letting in water, and chances of it being poorly installed and no drainage holes in the appropriate places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back