Outdoor socket connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Since we moved in (mid 90's) we have had a FCU spurred off the ring in the back of a cupboard in the garage, out of which emerges standard flex running about 6ft around the wall and out of a hole (which looks to be sleeved with 20mm conduit) into a proper outdoor socket on the wall.

All works fine but it's on my to do list to tidy it up a bit - and/or 'make safer' if needs be? That is, assuming I can do so... leading to my first question of being an outdoor socket is this allowed for DIY, is it 'notifiable', or as it is an existing installation am I allowed to replace etc?

Assuming I can proceed, what would you suggest? Is flex ok or better run in T&E?

Main issue would be to make the cable emerging from the hole in the wall neater - it ideally needs to run horizontally from the hole, what is the best way to do so and make it look decent?

TIA

Sponsored Links
being an outdoor socket is this allowed for DIY, is it 'notifiable', or as it is an existing installation am I allowed to replace etc?
Yes, no, and yes, as long as you do it competently and safely. Is it on an RCD?

Assuming I can proceed, what would you suggest? Is flex ok or better run in T&E?
T&E is more commonly used for fixed wiring, but there's nothing wrong with flex per se. It tends to need more frequent supports/clips. Provided yours is the right size, and is not at risk of physical damage etc, I wouldn't say you need to change it just because it's flex, and flex might be better anyway for the bends it has to make as it goes through the wall.

Main issue would be to make the cable emerging from the hole in the wall neater - it ideally needs to run horizontally from the hole, what is the best way to do so and make it look decent?
Photos of what you have, and what you need to deal with would be useful.

If you want to use the site's own photo library provision you'll find the instructions here: //www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

To get photo(s) to appear in your post you need to do all 11 steps.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that PITA convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org . Or one of many others (preferably not Photobucket) - I personally like postimage because of it's screen-scrape tool.

Ultimately the neatest appearance will come from concealing the cable, or failing that to run it in steel conduit, but that would mean an investment in tools and learning time.

The work you are undertaking is not deemed as notifiable work, that does not mean that it does not require to be compliant to BS7671(wiring regs) and part p (building regs).

The outside socket for safety reasons, I would recommend had 30mA RCD protection, this could be in the form of existing on socket circuit taken from, RCD FCU or a RCD protected socket.

The cable/flex size/CSA would require to be suitable for the maximum load current it would carry.

To neaten things up you have options of fixing the cable neatly by cable/flex clips or routing cable within trunking or conduit.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Good to know that I'm ok to proceed, and yes it is on an RCD too.

Can't supply a photo at the mo as I'm not at home, but basically as described its a rough hole with 20mm conduit just inside and a flex (looks pretty substantial so hopefully is of a suitable size!) emerging in a bit of a loop back to the wall where it is clipped.

To hide the hole I was thinking of something like...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BX1.html

then I presume I might need one of these...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EK251W.html

and some way of joining the two?

Although only in a garage, its within visible distance of the washing machine so whilst aesthetics aren't everything, its got to look better than the hole to the wife! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back