Wiring to an outdoor socket - must it be enclosed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We demolished an old 1930s garage, which had power running under the garden from a fused spur in the house. The cable emerges from the house wall under a step so it's normally hidden, it goes into a plastic plumbing pipe, which takes it under the patio. As the cable is exposed where it enters the pipe I plan to pull it out, shorten it and re-route it about 18" across and up into an outdoor socket for the lawnmower.

Must it be trunked up to the socket?

How waterproof are these grey plastic outdoor sockets? It will be in a very exposed location, where it will receive driving westerlies.

Sponsored Links
I have looked at the sockets on my sons marina and was surprised they didn't have problems as very exposed with no real protection. I have always tried to make a shelter for the sockets so dried by wind but non driven rain will not wet them.

Weak point is often the fixing screws both warping the fitting and allowing water in from back. Except were likely to flood I like to see drain holes although these can allow spiders in.

But in general a IP56 or better socket will not really have a problem. But I always have some means to isolate should it go wrong. Which includes the neutral.

And run a seem of low mod mastic around the socket base post fitting, as Eric mentioned the weak point can be the fixing holes at the rear.

Sponsored Links
I hope that there is a RCD protection somewhere...

The MK Masterseals are good in this respect, the fixing holes are outside the "sealed zone", so once fully assembled, the rear fixing screws do not affect the watertightness - the front fixing screws are also outside the "sealed zone" to avoid water ingress risks via the screws. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back