Outdoor socket to ring main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me please whether this proposed way of getting an outside socket in the garden for my pond would be OK.

If it makes any difference the length of SWA cable from FCU to socket would be about 4 metres buried at the appropriate depth.

The socket, attahced to a brick wall, would never have a high load as it would just be for some pond equipment.

I know that it comes under Part P as it's outside but would just like to know if this is a sound way of doing it. It is not practicle to go straight from the CU, spur from one of the sockets, or spur from a ring on the non-RCD side of the CU.

Wiring-1.jpg

Hoping you can assist.

Sponsored Links
instead of the junction box wouldnt a switched spur fused be better

I forgot to draw in the floor inside the house. The cables for the sockets are run in the wall (and I'm not going to redecorate). The junction box would be underneath the floorboards for the simplest method of getting a spur off of the ring and would exit the wall below the floorboards.

There is a switched FCU in my plan though but it would have to be outside, again to prevent redecorating.

All screwed connections (such as junction boxes) must remain accessible. Under a floor is not accesible.

Could you not run the SWA under the floor right back to the CU?

Sponsored Links
All screwed connections (such as junction boxes) must remain accessible. Under a floor is not accesible.

When did that come in? I'm not trying to be funny, it's a serious question. I'm not an electrician but have learnt what I do know from books, which I still have, and this is advocated.

No. It would mean having to gain access underneath the floorboards of 3 rooms and the CU is at the other end of the house.

When did that come in? I'm not trying to be funny, it's a serious question. I'm not an electrician but have learnt what I do know from books, which I still have, and this is advocated.

Dunno? It has been the case as long as I have been working in the trade (>ten years)

No. It would mean having to gain access underneath the floorboards of 3 rooms and the CU is at the other end of the house.

It's a pain having to do a job properly isn't it.

Edited due to me being too quik off the mark with a reply!
Sorry!

Regards
FB

Errr, is that "should" be accessable, because its the sensible thing to do.
or is it "must"?
if its a must then I'm sure that you can point to the correct reg :D

Is it possible to drill through the back of one of your sockets directly through the wall to a FCU?

Quote from 14th Ed, October 1966:

B73. Where joints in cable conductors.....are required,...........they shall be accessible for inspection.

If there is a liftable trap in the floor and sufficent height above the solum to crawl about, would I be correct in assuming that it is then OK to have a junction under the floor.

What happens to that JB when laminate flooring or tiles are installed?..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back