Outdoor switch box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, can I just start by saying I know nothing about electrics at all - but I have fitted a 4 way power controller outside on my decking wall linked to an armoured cable and feeding two sets of lights (two of the switches) and two sets of double sockets (the other two) the individual switch ratings are 5A, 3.15A, 2.5A and 2.5A - the fact that this adds up to 13A (ish) is maybe significant but rather lost on me. Is this a sustainable configuration when I start to plug in my beer fridge, pressure washer, leaf blower and phone charger? How do I easily work out what I can/can't/should/shouldn't plug in?

The box was from Screwfix (item 20964).

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
No, this is unsuitable for adding sockets. How have you fed this unit? I'd recommend employing and electrician to do the work properly for you.

Well it depends which switches you connected the sockets to, but best case you've got 3.15A and 5A for your sockets.

Totally fine for a beer fridge and most other garden appliances, but I'd check the rating of your pressure washer. If it's just a basic pressure washer that doesn't electrically heat the water you should be fine. But 3.15 and 5a are 690w and 1150w respectively.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Iggifer - looks like I'll be able to keep my beer cold this summer

Cheers

Rob

Right, can I just start by saying I know nothing about electrics at all - but....
But you decided that your complete ignorance should not in any way be a reason for you not to go ahead and do electrical work.

linked to an armoured cable
How did you terminate the armoured cable at each end?

How is this box supplied?

What route does the cable take?

What sort of cable(s) go to the lights and the sockets? What routes do they take?

the individual switch ratings are 5A, 3.15A, 2.5A and 2.5A
None of those individual outlets are fused. Putting a 2 - 5A capable switch to control a double socket does not count as making reasonable provision in the design and installation of the outdoor supply in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering it from fire or injury.

It is illegal to have done what you did.

Last edited:
None of those individual outlets are fused. Putting a 2 - 5A capable switch to control a double socket does not count as making reasonable provision in the design and installation of the outdoor supply in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering it from fire or injury.

It is illegal to have done what you did.

I think they are individually fused actually, but it is still poor design.

If you know nothing about electrics, what did you do with the armour of the armoured cable?

Well - if you can show how you can end up with an electrical installation which might be dangerous after you'd made reasonable provision in the design and installation of it in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering it from fire or injury, then it wouldn't be illegal.

Bear in mind that we aren't talking about some process or activity which is intrinsically risky, and where no matter how much care is taken there remains a chance that something could go wrong. This is a few LV outdoor sockets and switches, and my belief is that if you've installed something which might be dangerous then you cannot possibly have made reasonable provision for safety.

However..... :oops:

I think they are individually fused actually, but it is still poor design.
:oops: .... Indeed they are fused.

I looked at the blurb before posting what I did yesterday evening, as my first thought was "are they fused, 'cos if not a potential 26A load on an at best 5A switch is a Bad Idea".

How I missed seeing that they are individually fused IHNI.

Sorry.

looks like I'll be able to keep my beer cold this summer
Not necessarily. Most fridges are compressor driven, and whilst they only draw a low current whilst running, they can pull a surge current each time the compressor cuts in. Hence the instructions for most fridges state that although they only consume a few hundred watts or so, they should be fitted with a 13A fuse because the inrush current would blow a smaller 3A or 5A fuse.

And, the biggest fuse fitted to your switch box is 5A........ if your beer fridge is really tiny, or not compressor driven then you may be OK, but best to check the instructions first, unless you happen to like warm beer.

But you decided that your complete ignorance should not in any way be a reason for you not to go ahead and do electrical work.

Yes

None of those individual outlets are fused. Putting a 2 - 5A capable switch to control a double socket does not count as making reasonable provision in the design and installation of the outdoor supply in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering it from f

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back