Outdoor tap leaking - pipe freezing or get wet??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a leaking outdoor tap that I want to sort out. I'm told the supply is the old outside loo and there isn't an outdoor stop valve for the house at all (got the utils co. out to check). I've tightened the tap up as much as possible but I think the olive must be damaged inside (it's probably 20 years old) as it's still dripping slightly down the pipe.

So as I can't turn off the water supply, as far as I know the next best thing is pipe freezing - however this gets expensive for larger pipes. I have a second cheap (and wet) option of just taking off the tap and trying to force a new one on while getting soaked in the process but I'm not sure that would even work... what do you think?

Yes I'm trying to do this cheaply - after all I might get wet but it's only my back yard so not far to go to get dry again afterwards!

Sponsored Links
You could ask for a water meter- they will fit a stop tap as well then :)

Has this tap/pipe never frozen then? do you have a plan for when it does?

You could certainly try what you suggest. it'll probably work as long as you are determined enough and don't mind getting wet :)

Assuming there was enough pipe, if it was me I would probably get a pushfit isolation valve - or a compression one fitted to a stub of pipe and a pushfit coupler. cut the pipe, whack the coupler on ingoring the spraying water and then you can do the tap and connect it to the isolation valve at your leisure.

Have a push fit stop end hand though, then if nothing else you can stick that over the end of the pipe if it all goes pear shaped :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back