Outdoor Tap Replacement Not Gone to Plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outdoor tap needed replacing so I got one from screw fix which I attempted to fit today. All seemed to be going fine, old tap screwed off easily enough. However, when I started screwing on the new tap it stopped turning when the tap was facing sideways. It requires another quarter turn however it simply won’t budge any further. On looking at the old tap it has fewer threads on it and on screwing this back in it fit perfectly.

So my question is what do I do now? Should I attempt to locate another outdoor tap with fewer threads and if so how can you tell this when buying the product online? Or is there another way to get the tap I have bought to fit?

Thanks for any input

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wind the PTFE tape to form a taper on the tap thread and wrap the thread with sufficient turns to tighten the tap such that you end up winding in most of the thread but can set the tap vertical without running out of threads or it being too loose.

Wind the PTFE tape to form a taper on the tap thread and wrap the thread with sufficient turns to tighten the tap such that you end up winding in most of the thread but can set the tap vertical without running out of threads or it being too loose.
Thanks. The good news is that this worked to let me get the tap on. The bad news is that this hasn’t fixed the issue of water not coming out the tap. On speaking to someone else they said they had a similar issue and it was a valve underneath the sink that a plumber changed. Any idea what the valve is called? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Update-There was a double check valve on the internal pipe work which needed replaced as the valve was completely busted. Thanks for all the input.

To avoid ice destroying the new double check valve next winter turn off the internal shut off valve and leave the outside tap open.
Or if possible fit a double check valve inside the property on the garden tap feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back