Outdoor waste pipe - does it need to be solvent ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I accidentally snapped our waste pipe (on that feeds a kitchen basin, and washing machine waste) to the outside drain.

Looking at the pipework I saw 40mm written on it - measured it - and the OD was about 43mm (give or take a mm). Popped into Wickes and bought a some 40mm pushfit. It doesnt fit.

After some searching, I fount that there's multiple types of pipes for this purpose - solvent or push fit (amongst a couple of others I think) - its all a learning curve in this DIY game eh?

Anyway - the question. The existing pipework says 40mm on it - but it measures at about 43mm - whats the deal with that? Why have 40mm printed on it - if its not 40mm? If it is 40mm, why doesnt it fit into a 40mm 90' bend? If its not 40mm, why does it say 40mm? Still on that learning curve lol

As its only a waste pipe to an outside drain, any reason why I cannot use a pushfit /solvent adaptor and use a pushfit 90'bend? Or is there some reason it has to be solvent ?

Oh -and can you indeed *buy* a solvent connector to pushfit connector ? Wickes did'nt have them - but I suppose I'd have to use a decent plumber for that kinda thing (plumbworld?)

Cheers
Andy :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Try compression - fits the lot. They're nominal size, metricated inch and a half id. Though all solvent is the same size, the rest vary. Pushfit pipe is usuallly thin, and won't solvent weld.

Compression?

Your best bet would be pushfit, don't buy from cheap merchants or B&Q because it's rubbish. go to your nearest plumbing merchant.

Sponsored Links
i would suggest McAlpine multifit either bend(code MT4) or straight (code T28M)then bend/pipe of your choice, solvent or pushfit is not generally interchangeable and the McAlpine type fittings from the sheds are crap,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back