Outdoors gas boiler

I can only see the optional kit protecting the condensate part from freezing. As I see it, the optional kit (trace heating) should be on a separate electrical supply, in case the boiler side blows a fuse.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't do any good as the trace only protects the domestic and condensate trap. If the boiler fuse goes the rest of the boiler would still be at risk.

Wouldn't do any good as the trace only protects the domestic and condensate trap. If the boiler fuse goes the rest of the boiler would still be at risk.
At least it will protect something, injecting some heat into the boiler innards.

Sponsored Links
Still considering the enclosure. Very tight to get it in outside and also another canopy has to be fitted over it to keep rain off the top, which seems to defeat the idea of having an an outside enclosure in the first place.

Other option is a twin flue of about 5 to 6 metres in length from a basement under a living room floor. All the flue is visible from the basement. Also using a condensate pump to pump up to the drain.

No matter what the boiler personally I would try to keep such an investment inside if I could.

Why twin flue, cannot a concentric do the job?

No matter what the boiler personally I would try to keep such an investment inside if I could.

I have seen external boilers in Europe that only have an exhaust flue, as the enclosure or outer casing have inlet air grilles, they were commercial though so not sure if you get domestic ones that do the same , cant think of a reason why not

I have seen external boilers in Europe that only have an exhaust flue, as the enclosure or outer casing have inlet air grilles, they were commercial though so not sure if you get domestic ones that do the same , cant think of a reason why not

We don't have that option but a boiler could be open glued in the basement with an 80 flue to outside. Most of our boilers can be B23.

No. Running under a suspended ground floor about 1 foot of space, which one side is fully open to a basement, with the flue pipes fully in view. Then the pipes have to enter outside about 100mm from ground level and rise up. Navien can use plastic drain pipe - cheap. Intergas use 80mm flue pipe available up to 2 metre lengths. But it is white, the wrong colour, and I assume metal. The terminating part appears not clear, as air inlet and exhaust pipe will be at different termination points, not together. Baxi also have a twin flue system, I think metal again.

I believe the termination of plastic exhaust pipe can be just an open pipe, with no grill guard on it when using an elbow. Not sure about the Intergas and Baxi metal 80mm pipes.

Last edited:
The Navien website say the NCB boiler can be just placed outside with no enclosure, like Rinnaies. Need to consult Navien first on that.

I believe the termination of plastic exhaust pipe can be just an open pipe, with no grill guard on it when using an elbow. Not sure about the Intergas and Baxi metal 80mm pipes.
I found out the Intergas 80mm pipe is plastic. They will not allow it to be run outside, only terminating with their twin flue terminal.

Navien's NCB boiler can be fitted outside without a special enclosure. However it needs a canopy over it to prevent direct rain hitting the top of the boiler. The pipe insulation and electrical switches must be outside specced of course. The frost protection is two-stage, pump then burner. Quite clever what it does, doing all to prevent the burner staying on.

They throw in their TOK room temp/controller, which is superb. The outside sensor costs about £7 as the company is so large they make them themselves, with smart phone control and its also speaks to you if you want, for hard of seeing people. They are introducing a new TOK smart which is RF taking the outside temperature from the air waves not a physical sensor - more installation ease. Smart phone control as well, about £150 - being introduced in a week or two. Both very clever and simple to use. Their twin plastic flues are white or black in colour being inside or outside with simple terminating.

Last edited:
Hello Hard-work. Where on the navien website does it claim it can be installed outside? Can only find a claim saying it can be installed anywhere in the home. Cheers

Hello Hard-work. Where on the navien website does it claim it can be installed outside? Can only find a claim saying it can be installed anywhere in the home. Cheers
HVP mag mentions it:
https://www.hvpmag.co.uk/New-kid-on-the-block/10395

Another, Installer:
https://www.installeronline.co.uk/36296-2/

It is on their site somewhere, I cannot find it right now, as I am too busy. I rang their tech dept. who confirmed it can be fitted outdoors, with the conditions I wrote above, given to me from them. They also emphasise enough space for a service guy to access the boiler, with no bushes, etc in the way.

They are in the process of changing flue manufacturer to the same company that makes the flues for Viessman. Currently they use the same company that supplies Ideal and Intergas. They hope to have 80mm long plastic flue pipes that can be fitted inside and out, which is very handy, as less joints, which is safer as well. As their 80mm flues pipe may not be available just yet, maybe 1 week or 4 weeks, or whatever, moving the combi to outside is an option rather than extending the flue outside, which they confimed can be done.

Their boilers are quality. The new TOK RF controller combines the signals of the room temperature and outside temperature, to modulate the burner matching the heat demand for the home more accurately. Few, makers do this, as many will only do the outside temp or inside temp, not both. You can fit one of these in with the new TOK RF controller very quickly. No wire to outside as is uses the air waves to get the outside temp, and no wire to the controller as it is run by battery and RF. All quite easy to install, yet superb control. The user interface is easy enough being much superior to other makes. It is touch screen control on the front of the boiler. Here is the wired TOK controller, which is bundled with the combi:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back