Outside Cabling Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have recently had our garden sorted out to allow rear parking and currently have the external ground level down a 300mm below damp course . this is currently about 450mm of scalping.

We would like to fit an external IP65 weather box suitable for holding some transformers for low voltage lighting and plugging in the lawn mower on the odd sunny day (ie. screwfix model 44658).

Getting back to the consumer unit is difficult as it is by the front door and the inside of the house has been renovated recently and flooring laid in the bedrooms.

My question is this. Before i get the sparky in to quote me on the job, is it possible to run 2.5mm T&E from a fused spur, via conduit (black) which will be buried at least 450mm below a patio and garden path so no spade will get near it or do I have to use SWA cable to do this. I never intent to plug in anything heavier than the mower, which curently works on a bloody long extension lead from the kitchen anyhow (with trip). MAx cable run would not exceed 25m

Thanks in advance for any advice on this one

Gimli

Sponsored Links
T+E is not suitable for underground or outside use, regardless of depth or if in plastic conduit.

SWA is the correct cable to use.

put it in steel conduit though and you're ok.. ;)
the cost makes SWA a more viable option though..

If its ouside it MUST be mechanicaly protected, plastic conduit will not do this. Steel conduit will, but would be very expensive.
Get yourself some 3 core 2.5 mm SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) cable & you are sorted. Its a lot more money than t&e & placy conduit but you are safe.

Sponsored Links
Ok that sounds good, I will go with the armoured cable option for the reason of it sounds like a less hassle option than metal conduit.

Is it still possible to connect to the existing ring main as a fused spur possibly incorporating an RCD. IS this possible with SWA cable due to its size?

Again thanks for the advice and help, I really appreciate it before making an idiot of myself....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back