Outside - garage wall lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit each side of the garage door two decorative lamps, mains powered, wall mounted, PIR switched high output LED's that have continuous low power LED's throughout darkness.
I have looked and it seems the only way to get something approaching this is to fit two separate light units, and this won't look decorative. Anyone seen anything that I'm after?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Let's focus on what you have said, stripping out the non-functional adjectival stuff etc.

I would like to fit two lamps. I have looked and it seems the only way to get something approaching this is to fit two separate light units.

:?:

I presume he means what is called Hi-Lo lights.

Not sure I understand why "it seems the only way to get something approaching this is to fit two separate light units, and this won't look decorative."

Sponsored Links
With two identical incandescent lamps it is possible to have a pair of low intensity lamps by connecting them in series. Each lamp has half the supply voltage and glows at about 1/3 brightness. With a double pole double throw switch ( or relay ) the two lamps can be switched from series connection to parallel connection and thus on to full brightness.

Let's focus on what you have said, stripping out the non-functional adjectival stuff etc.

I would like to fit two lamps. I have looked and it seems the only way to get something approaching this is to fit two separate light units.

:?:

OK to avoid confusion, lets focus on one lamp only. I wish to have a exterior wall mounted mains powered PIR operated LED high power security lamp, to include a low power LED lamp that remains on when it's dark. I can't find anything like this available that looks decorative .Any chance you know of something?

Generally I find all lights with built in PIRs, and pretty much every wall-mounted flood on the market as ugly as sin.

But beauty is in the eye of, etc, and IHNI what your aesthetic standards are.

And your post said that it was having to have two separate lights in order to get a light each side of a door which would not look decorative. You said nothing about finding the lights unattractive on an individual basis, so we are all at a loss to understand your predicament.

I suggest you look for lights which do what you want, find one that looks OK to you, and buy two of them. (Unless it's a cheapo Chinese special on eBay or Amazon Marketplace).

If you cannot find one you like then the problem is that you don't like any of them and cannot have what you would like. The problem is not that you want two.

OK to avoid confusion, lets focus on one lamp only. I wish to have a exterior wall mounted mains powered PIR operated LED high power security lamp, to include a low power LED lamp that remains on when it's dark. I can't find anything like this available that looks decorative .Any chance you know of something?
Yes,

http://www.lightingcentre-direct.co...y-wall-lights/led-p-lux-hi-lo-wall-light.html

http://www.lightingcentre-direct.co.uk/index.php/security/decorative-security-wall-lights.html

Yes,

http://www.lightingcentre-direct.co...y-wall-lights/led-p-lux-hi-lo-wall-light.html

http://www.lightingcentre-direct.co.../decorative-security-wall-lights.html[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your help, exactly what is required.

ERPEC1000.JPG
Shown is a photo cell standard way to turn on lights at night although does not look good it does not need to be anywhere near the lamps it could be mounted at back of garage.
TS171.JPG
This is a PIR which detects movement and would clearly need to be mounted where you want to light. Some lamps have a combination built in where you can select the function used often by switching lamp on/off a set number of times.

There is also the possibility of having a lamp on dim at night until there is movement then increase the light output.

The problem with any low energy dimming lamp is the bulbs become expensive having two bulbs in same fitting is one way to change the light output which also allows different colour temperatures to be used. However finding a ready made lamp like that may be hard.

The problem is we can't from your description work out what you want as you say on all night and PIR which does not really match.

Better results are achieved by having the PIR separate from the lamp.

Most PIRs are very poor at detecting a person walking towards the PIR.

PIRs are most "sensitive" to people walking across the face of the PIR.

Hence a lamp with a built in PIR may not turn on if a person walks slowly in a straight line directly to the lamp. But the convenience of having lamp and PIR in a single unit seems to outweigh the disadvantage of this.

I would recommend this PIR for both appearance and function.

Cick for details

Generally I find all lights with built in PIRs, and pretty much every wall-mounted flood on the market as ugly as sin.

But beauty is in the eye of, etc, and IHNI what your aesthetic standards are.
My bad - I thought you were after a floodlight. IHNI why. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back