outside heaters

Sponsored Links
Answer 1: Far more information required, such as distance from the house, supply type, how is the cable getting there etc.

Answer 2: None, since using nearly 4kW of energy to heat the outside air is a complete waste of time and money.

if it's cold enough to need heaters out there, then go inside you twit.. or buy a fire pit.. and a bag of marshmellows to roast.

The breaker rating would need to be 20A

To answer the question on the cable size answers to the following questions are required

1: how long is the run
2: is it going to be fed from a board at the origin of the install or from a sub board
3: if it's fed from a sub board how much of the volt-drop budget has been allocated to the submain(s) feeeding the board and how much is still available for the new circuit.

You will also need to provide RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
have you purchased these heaters yet? I brought some a few years ago and they are a waste of time and money. Bulbs dont tend to last long and you have to be right uder the heater to feel them.

Not at all - I just despise the selfishness of people who want to heat the outside.

I didn't read Bas's first comment before it was deleted, but have to say (according to his second comment) I have to agree with the sentiment of heating 'the outside' is a bit stupid. Sorry if that offends, but...

Particularly in these days when it's no longer even permitted to install light fittings with 150w GLS lamps!

Unfortunately the labour smoking ban has left pubs and similar who wan't to keep their smoking patrons with little choice but to go down the road of creating spaces that are as comfortable as possible while still being legaly outdoors.

Not at all - I just despise the selfishness of people who want to heat the outside.

And I'm sure there are people out there who bathe in cold water every day, and would consider those of us that waste gas and electricity heating water to be selfish in our energy consumption. There are probably even more who cycle or take public transport for all their journeys, and would deem those that own a car to be polluting twits. Each to their own, if the OP is happy to pay to run these heaters then that's their call. The oil, gas and coal will all run out in the end eventually, and three 1.5kW heaters will probably only make it happen a couple of minutes sooner.

so you're not even going to acknowledge the increase in global warming since the use of "patio heaters" became prolific in recent years? :)

he's heating the outdoors twice, once with the actual heaters, and again with the CO2 from the coal and oil burnt to produce the electricity..

if he used a gas patio heater at least he wouldn't be causing double the damage to the environment.. :)

so you're not even going to acknowledge the increase in global warming since the use of "patio heaters" became prolific in recent years? :)

I think there's a lot more to blame than just patio heaters. I don't bother criticising people for wasting energy - let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I'm pretty sure all of us could cut our fuel consumption by massive amounts if we got rid of a lot of the creature comforts that we've become used to, but that just isn't going to happen. Just as developing nations, many of whom are contributing more to global warming than our small island could ever hope, aren't going to give up the western comforts that they are only just starting to benefit from.

... heating the outdoors twice, once with the actual heaters, and again with the CO2 from the coal and oil burnt to produce the electricity..

if he used a gas patio heater at least he wouldn't be causing double the damage to the environment.. :)

I don't think the heat from the heater has any actual relevance Col. It really is the greenhouse gasses that does the damage.

I suspect that the greenhouse gas from burning gas to create heat, and burning gas or oil to make electricity to create heat is all pretty much as damaging as each other. The greenhouse gasses enter the atmosphere whichever.

But it is unsettling if you look at the affect caused by a patio heater through an infra red camera, you'll see that a huge percentage of the heat simply floats up to the sky. And at all our's expense!

:rolleyes:

i think the issue with these heaters is that the goverment dont make people or the manufactories make people aware of the energy needed to run these lights or outside gas heaters and there Co they cause.

When i brought mine they was advertised at something like 3p hour running costs and will heat a radious of 4 meter sq or simular. After using these heaters for the first time i realised they cost alot more to run than that along with the fact the heat out put is not worth using them.

Not everyone has the knowledge fo sparkys and what the heaters are really like. They just read what it says on the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back