Outside light from a spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to fit an outside light, but the only power source nearby is a spur socket. If I add an FCU to the spur, will it be OK to then run sockets and outside light FCU from that?

What I'm planning to do is (I also want to move the socket to the right):

circuit.png

Does that look correct? The sockets are RCD protected, and the switched 3A FCU would be double pole.

Also, what cable would be appropriate to use from the 3A FCU to the light? It would be going through a cavity wall directly into the back of the light:

outside-light.png

Would 1.5mm2 T+E be suitable, or would something like 1.5mm2 NYY-J be better? Can NYY-J be chased into the wall? And is it OK to have the cable unprotected when going through the cavity wall or should it be in conduit?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
No. You said your existing socket is a spur. You cannot have a spur off a spur on a ring circuit.

Yes. What you propose is fine.

Winston is completely wrong.

He states you cannot have a spur off a spur on a ring circuit.

HOWEVER, as you have replaced the original spur socket to a FCU, it can therefore supply an unlimited number of sockets or more FCUs.

Regular 1.5mm2 T+E would be ok between the light and it's FCU.

You COULD put the cable in conduit where it passes through the wall, but to be honest no one bothers and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Sponsored Links
Post 1 diagram clearly shows a spur off a spur off a 13a socket. There is no suggestion the 2nd spur is off the output of the first.

Regular 1.5mm2 T+E would be ok between the light and it's FCU.

You COULD put the cable in conduit where it passes through the wall, but to be honest no one bothers and it's more trouble than it's worth.
No need for 1.5mm cable. 1.0mm is more than adequate and easier to use.

Post 1 diagram clearly shows a spur off a spur off a 13a socket. There is no suggestion the 2nd spur is off the output of the first.

It DOESN'T.

The original socket has been replaced with a 13amp unswitched fused connection unit.

From the load side of this, there is:-
one cable feeding a double socket
one cable feeding a 3amp FCU for the outside light.

Please look again.

Last edited:
It DOESN'T.

The original socket has been replaced with a 13amp unswitched fused connection unit.

From the load side of this, there is:-
one cable feeding a double socket
one cable feeding a 3amp FCU for the outside light.

Please look again.
The original socket is still there. Then there is an unswitched FCU, and finally a switched FCU off that.

Yes. What you propose is fine.

Great. Thanks for your help!

Maybe I should have made the diagram a bit clearer. I'm proposing to move the double socket to the right and putting a 13A FCU where it currently is with one cable from that going to the double socket and another cable from the 13A FCU going to the 3A FCU and then on to the light.

The original socket is still there. Then there is an unswitched FCU, and finally a switched FCU off that.
Is it buggery.

Can't you see in the diagram the double socket only has one cable at it?

Can't you see the cable feeding the socket in the very first diagram is now feeding the unswitched FCU?

Can't you see in the first post he has written that he wants to move the socket to the right?

Great. Thanks for your help!

Maybe I should have made the diagram a bit clearer. I'm proposing to move the double socket to the right and putting a 13A FCU where it currently is with one cable from that going to the double socket and another cable from the 13A FCU going to the 3A FCU and then on to the light.

Hi,

Ignore the bickering!

I was slightly confused at first. But yes, as long as both your double socket and the switched FCU are fed from the "Load" side of the un-switched FCU, it should be fine!
...and I would run the cable in a conduit through the wall, with a slight downward gradient to the outside; allowing any cavity water seepage to escape to the outside, rather than forming a damp patch on the inner wall.

Good luck! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back