Outside light(pir) playing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an outside pir light that’s really annoying me, it was installed when my extension was done by an electrician last year, the cable comes straight from fuse box to light. There is not a switch for it.
It just stays on, literally as soon as it flicks off after 3 minutes it comes straight on and keeps doing it. I have resorted to removing the lamp.
What could the problem be? I have played with the settings on it to no avail.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
All sorts of things can trigger them, the discharge from a boiler flue, something moving in their field of view, such as a tree or bush swaying in the wind, animals etc., I know of one that seemed to be affected by reflections.

Some will allow the sensitivity and range to be reduced, but it appears that you have tried that already. If there is something obvious that is triggering it, sometimes sticking some insulation tape over the section of the sensor pointing in that direction can prevent it.

If the location is difficult, because of random triggering, sometimes a light wired up to a separate adjustable remote PIR that can be positioned slightly away may resolve it. As with most things, generally the more you pay the better the quality of the sensor.

It's unusual to install a light without a switch though, as you have found out, it can be somewhat impractical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back