Outside light query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't shoot me if this is a stupid question to ask but I want to install a new external light on the outside of my garage but the only nearby accessible power is a standard mains socket. My question is can I use a standard 3 pin plug on the end of the new light cable and plug it into the mains using a 3amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
This is what I have inherited in my current house!

It obviously works and is convenient - however, I hate the trailing wire and the fact one of my garage sockets is being used!

I intend to change it but from a common-sense point of view - I would imagine if you fitted a fused spur from a mains socket, you are effectively doing the same thing as if you fitted a mains plug and just plugged it in. You might do better with a 5 amp fuse though as this seems to be the normal rating for this kind of application...

The more qualified here would be able to advise whether this is a 'good idea' or not.

Best thing to do is to take a switched FCU as a spur from your socket and wire your external light to that.

Sponsored Links
But rules being rules;

If it is a ring main you should only take a spur from a socket on the ring,

If the socket is already a spur you may fit a 13A FCU before the socket. You can then fit a 3A FCU to the socket,
i.e. Supply-> 13A FSU ->Socket ->3A FSU - >Light

If it is a radial you may extend it to incorporate the FCU, use the same size cable as the rest of the radial.

Maximum floor surface area served by:
30A/32A ring = 100m²
30A/32A radial = 75m²
20A radial = 50m²

Or as the originator says, stick a plug on it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back