Hard Wire transformer for LV cable lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an existing light with a low voltage cable system. The transformer supplied with the lights is supplied with a 3amp fused plug.

Clearly I would prefer this to run off the existing lighting circuit.

I was proposing therefore to cut off the plug and wire into a 3amp fused connection unit which would replacing the existing circuit connection for the current light.

My question is therefore - is what I'm proposing logically sound and safe from a building regs point of view? or is my only alternative to find (or in this case add) a socket off the ring main into which the transformers plug can be connected?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be able to wire this transformer straight into the lighting circuit. Just cut off the plug and wire it up to where the old light was wired to.

Agree with Crafty, as this is a lighting circuit there will be no need to wire the Tx via a plug or fused spur.

Out of interest and on topic - is it within regs to connect multistrand wire to solid core within the same terminal, such as a 20amp 4 way junction box, or should you use something different?

Trevor

Sponsored Links
Trevor, how would you connect pre-wired (with flex) transformers if you couldnt use a junction box? I cant see how this could be a problem.

FWL_Engineer said:
Agree with Crafty, as this is a lighting circuit there will be no need to wire the Tx via a plug or fused spur.

Thanks for the advice but before I go and hardwire - given the plug fuse is 3amp and the lighting circuit is on a 5amp fuse at the consumer box would it not be prudent to retain a 3amp rating on the fused spur?

crafty1289 said:
Trevor, how would you connect pre-wired (with flex) transformers if you couldnt use a junction box? I cant see how this could be a problem.

Thanks for the reply Crafty.

I have only needed to do this 3 times and I have used;

transformer > chocblock > t+e > junction/switching box.

Each transformer was well away from the switching/junction box so needed the cable extended. Chocblock crimps each cable seperately whereas all the cables in say a 4 way 20amp junction/switchbox are under one screw crimp per way.

Not saying it is a problem, I was interested myself to see if this is common practise and allowed by regs that you can wire multistrand cable in the same terminal as solid core.

Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back