Outside Light Suggestion for communal entrance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The Outside light has not been working for a while and looking to get that sorted and so to get the best option possible moving forward.

as per picture attached, bedroom are located in the front of the building so we want something quite dim rather than the usual flood flash light.

1 - Either something with sensor that will detect movement

2 - or something that will come on by itself when it is night time.

3 - We thought about just normal light that could be left on all day long too or that could be switch on from the inside.

Any suggestions and considerations for each of these options?

Many thanks,
Jeremy

Attachments

• 20190310_094810.jpg
    20190310_094810.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 300
Sponsored Links
There are lights out there that will do all three.
They can detect the light level and come on, or detect movement and come on or can be overridden with a switch.

I just fitted some 14w LED ones in my company toilets that will do all that but are bright so you need a lot less than 14w.
Cannot remember what the make/model is - why not go look at a lighting shop, and ask them?
(I'm including online stores in this)

The sensors in either 1 or 2 will consume about 3 watts 24/7. A quite dim light that you require wold be something like a 5 watt LED. Having one of the above sensors on 24/7 plus light when required would consume about the same amount of juice as having the light on 24/7.

The sensors in either 1 or 2 will consume about 3 watts 24/7. A quite dim light that you require wold be something like a 5 watt LED. Having one of the above sensors on 24/7 plus light when required would consume about the same amount of juice as having the light on 24/7.
I do not understand what "The liquid obtained from or present in fruit or vegetables." has to do with the situation. Using incorrect terminology is wrong and confusing to the readers. I assume you meant power. Please use the correct word in future.

Sponsored Links
... I assume you meant power. Please use the correct word in future.
I presume you have the same problem with "gas pedals" in cars? Language is full of colloquialisms and idioms!

If we're being pedantic, I'm far from convinced that substituting the word "power" in the sentence concerned would make it strictly correct. (electrical) "Power" is the rate of transfer of energy, and I'm not at all sure that one can "consume a rate of transfer" :)

Kind Regards, John

Jesus! When did you lose your sense of irony?
... and when did you lose your awareness of the reason why we use emoticons with this otherwise potentially misleading communications medium (and why I did use one)?!

Anyway .... I suppose it is a little ironic to suggest that incorrect terminology should be replaced with other terminology which is also probably strictly incorrect (even if very widely used)!

Kind Regards, John

Gosh.... if I new that my post was gonna cause drama....
back to the topic will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Jeremy, almost ALL posts by people on here asking for help and info get changed into debates, heated arguments etc. by many of the regulars.
Just sit back and watch, grab some popcorn. :)

A nice building like that will look tacky with a light going on and off, i would use one with a built in photocell so on all hours of darkness, a low wattage led with nice base, not a cheap plastic one.
I would also look for a warm white 3000k too as not so harsh
A plastic robus golf wont look to bad though.
shopping

... back to the topic will be appreciated.
For once, I think that agree, in concept, with winston ... given that you only want a small amount of light, anything that detects motion, or switches on a time basis, will coinsume a small amount of electricity - such that, in terms of energy consumption, you probably might as well leave a very small LED on 24/7.

Having said that, my daughter has one like this (click here) (only £6.99) by her front door ... being solar powered, it consumes NO electricity at all (and needs no wiring). It comes on very dim throughout the hours of darkness, and then brightens up (to quite a reasonable level) when it detects motion. Hers is still going strong after about 3 years in service (which is hardly bad, at the price!) ...

20160611172127_46620.jpg

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What's wrong with the light already in place? It looks like a 2D fluorescent, if so it might only need a replacement lamp or at most it'll only want a ballast replacement

I'm not at all sure that one can "consume a rate of transfer"
You seem to be saying that the expression "consume power" is semantically incorrect. The original context was Watts used. I really don't get your point.

MOD: Keep it on topic please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back