Outside Light Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Expert Electricians,

So have that light fitting outside that we would like to replace with sensor light as the current one is kind of useless to have it off when it can be only switch on from inside - unless it is left on all the time.

Have been looking at "sensor outside light" but they seems to be mostly to be attached on the side of the wall - rather than at ceiling level as per picture of the entrance.

Any recommendations on best approach?

I am concerned that if sensor light need to be attached to the wall because of the range of option available, that will means cables on the wall which won't make the entrance as pretty as it is.

Attachments

• 20231203_123626 (2).jpg
    20231203_123626 (2).jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
a lot of ceiling type lights are available

Oh I did not realised that this was possible. only looked at B&Q - let me try to find one with black edge rather than white one and job done! :)

i just searched for ceiling light with sensor - then made sure it was suitable for outside use
screwfix is same group as B&Q
there will also be wholesale electerical suppliers like CEF, TLC etc

maybe something like

BUT make sure it is suitable to use and will work outside OK
and I assume yours is mains powered or is it on a transfomer ?
also size and how connected up , also how mounted - quite a few things to see if it can be straightforward replacement

is this a flat , or you own house ?? or rented , all would need to be considered

i have spoken with TLC a few times and CEF and they are very helpful on the phone

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
oh my search was not as clever - will explore more and thanks for the feedback so to make sure that suitable for outdoor.

Yes main power with a interrupters - thought bulb been off - so need to get a new bulb so to check that there is still juice going into the light fittings.

I am on of the freeholder so just gathering advise before to get electrician as I always find the advice and recommendations here top notch :)

As Freeholder, I guess as long as agreement from the 4 of us, no additional concern?

I guess the switch inside the entrance will have to be replaced with a blank plate so to avoid people to switch off the outside light as otherwise this could happen by accident.

did you see the TLC link
I guess the switch inside the entrance will have to be replaced with a blank plate so to avoid people to switch off the outside light as otherwise this could happen by accident.
personally i would want to be able to isolate easily

Last edited:
I use a smart switch, due to the route down my drive, by time one triggers a PIR it is a bit late, mothers house passing traffic would set it off, but the smart switch is only really any good for lighting your way, not visitors, but the dusk and dawn plus timers can be used for the likes of the milk man. I used a TP-Link (Tapo) switch as it has dust and dawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back