outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am fitting an outside light to my house. The supply is going to come from a switch i fit inside the house hallway. Its only a 100w light so it will be put on the light circuit. I have a couple of queries if someone would be so kind.

1, from the switch the cable will be twin and earth fixed flat on the brick but the light fitting looks like it needs round flex. Therefore i propose just a normal JB inside the hallway(the brown round type jb) to 'change' the cable in. Is flex ok to use in a normal JB like this?

2, the light is an outside light which is Ip44. Is this ok as ive had ones which are Ip57 before?

3, Anything else to think about?

Sponsored Links
Why does it need to be circular in cross section?

If the light fitting can be back-to-back with the switch, you could take the flex into the switch box and do away with the JB.

Are you sure there's a neutral at the switch??

The gland on the light is round and the flat twin and earth wouldnt go in right. I also would prefer the black flex asthetically. They arent back to back no, the run from the switch to fitting would be in view, the location is a hallway/porch though so doesnt matter.

Yes to a neutral.

Sponsored Links
nah, sorry secure, havent got a camera or phone one. Its got a round rubber ring in it that gets compressed as a seal- not going to close up on flat cable.

Maybe because its designed for round cables not flat ones???? just like most glands found on external lighting...

jonopashley wrote

Maybe because its designed for round cables not flat ones???? just like most glands found on external lighting...

Hence why i have said i want to use black flex, or did you miss that bit? :confused:

1, from the switch the cable will be twin and earth fixed flat on the brick but the light fitting looks like it needs round flex. Therefore i propose just a normal JB inside the hallway(the brown round type jb) to 'change' the cable in. Is flex ok to use in a normal JB like this?

Almost certainly not, as you shouldn't join solid and stranded cables in the same screw terminal (the screw will not properly tighten on the stranded cable). If you have to have a junction box, best to use an adaptable box of some sort, and use preferalby crimps, or connector block (where you can terminate one cable to each end of the block, so each type of cable has its own screw).

the location is a hallway/porch though so doesnt matter.
Even so, surface cliped T/E emerging (somehow) from a switch, surface mount JB, surface clipped flex....

puke.gif

3, Anything else to think about?
Possibly. Which part of the UK are you in>

Almost certainly not, as you shouldn't join solid and stranded cables in the same screw terminal (the screw will not properly tighten on the stranded cable). If you have to have a junction box, best to use an adaptable box of some sort, and use preferalby crimps, or connector block (where you can terminate one cable to each end of the block, so each type of cable has its own screw).

Although not advisable, we all know that it's doable when needs must, as long as the stranded conductors terminate underneath the solid ones such that they are fully compressed by the solid copper above them.

Or crimp a pin terminal or bootlace ferrule to the end of the stranded conductor.

Thanks so far for the advice.

The hallway does have twin and earth run on brickwork already and whilst i agree it isnt ideal it is neatly done. The better way would be conduit i agree but its an area where its not likelly to get damaged and the twin and earth has been run into white moulded accsesories via a very neatly cut slot in the backboxes which has been siliconed up.

I cant really see a problem with that to be honest, i always use the bootlace ferrules anyway for terminating stranded wires.

Im in South West England by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back