Outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a summerhouse and want to put lights under the soffit board which will be out of sight for rain,can I use any lights fitting or does it have to be waterproof/seal type? I'm looking at up to 4" dia circle low watts type fitting which I can able cut in or screw in as I won't be able to get behind it.

Sponsored Links
so long as you put them in your soffit board (pointing down) you can use ordainairy low voltage lights.

As they will be in your soffit they should never get that wet, if they were in the ground pointing up that would be a differnt story

So they be okay in damp/moisture weather condition in winter etc ?

And also what lights would you recommend ?

i would recomend any paricular light just what takes your fancy.

If you think about it most people have low voltage lights in their bath room and they are ok in there. your soffit will have a edge, so water will (should) never run directly on to the lights, also rain /snow doesn't fall upwards.

I am trying to say that so long as they never get direct water any low voltage lamp should be ok, so long as the transformer / mains connections is inside i do not see a problem.

for what its worth i have a low voltage light in the garden for "testing purposes" its been there for over a year and it still works fine.

Earlier tonight i met someone who has weather proof low voltage lights in his garden, and most of them do not work, because who ever installed them forgot that the transformers are NOT weatherproof

Sponsored Links
Breezer. Snow can fall upwards due to wind. Thats why my garage roof was full of it when her indoors left the door open...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back