Outside lighting? rules n regs on doing this? Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has fitted 2 outdoor security lights, for general use and not for security reasons as they are not "pir" sensor fitted.

the problem is that the light from both his 150w outdoor lights spread over onto our patio and garden area.

this is kind of ok, but when he has a party or simply having a beer or three ( as we all do, now and then ) the floodlights go on, and floods out entire garden and patio area so we can not sit outside with our low lighting, that simply glows (not floods) and relax as his lighting is like daylight all over again. and it means he and everyone in his garden can see us in our jimJams having a smoke or just having a relaxing coffee or beer with our friends.

should he not have fitted it so the light does not touch/flood out property with light.

where do we now stand? re the regs and rules of this

as he is starting to be a right pain in the behind

Sponsored Links
easy enough ask him to angle them away from your garden and possibly fit smaller bulbs
if they are shining from the sides into your garden he can lower them of fit some sort off side deflector to direct the light to stop on his property

Hi there BigAll
i could do, sure but my neighbour is a right poyal pain in the backside
so I am very keen to be able to throw some regs his way re the allowance for lighting regs and light polution

Sponsored Links
Try your local environmental health at the council, they might have a word or send a letter re-light pollution but for them to take any serious action it would involve proving a statutory nuisance which can be very difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back