Outside lighting terminals / junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Firstly thank you for reading my post :)

I'm in the process of installing outside lights. I'm opting for a Blagdon kit to safely install electricity outside as I'm a novice.

I have a set of 4 lights. I want to wire them up in pairs (that's how I want them to be installed, so they work independantly from eachother).

I will connect the armoured cable from the power source to light number 1 but what type of terminal would I use or is available so I can then loop the armoured cable onto light number 2 - as inside the pillar style light I have purchased is a weatherproof box allowing me to connect the power cable...but there is no further outlet to loop the connection to the next light. I hope I am explaining myself well enough.

Can anyone make a recommendation...also note that if realtively small enough a terminal / junction box can be housed up inside the pillar lights as they are a foot high, square and hollow.

I would then repeat this process for the other two lights in the same way running which will run from a seperate cable.

I have seen many waterproof junction boxes which are literally just shells with no terminals... how would I connect all the wires....

Thanks in advance for your assistance. :))

Sponsored Links
There are loads of adaptable boxes click on image and you will find more. The general page shows many more options. There is the more permanent option and the list seems never ending. .

However you also have the Part P problem and the cost of local authority building inspectors in my area "Wales" it's £100 plus vat and it may be cheaper to employ a registered electrician to do the work.

We would normally use crimp connectors which need crimp pliers shown.

If theres space in the light fitting, use a metal Y box

Terminate the SWA cables onto the two bottom holes and gland a flex onto the top. It takes some fiddling to get the cores all neat in there though - You'll need some connector strips

steve, those are not waterproof and never will be..
there is a hole in the back for a start, as well as the flimsy face plate secured using only 2 screws and a rubber gacket..

they are fine for use in the base of a light where the light itself forms a weatherproof enclosure, such as a street light..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back