outside lights!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring 4 lights(unknown type as yet) outside in a garden. For the feed i will be coming from the downstairs ring. The DB is the old wylex type with no rcd protection at all. i was going to use an RCD fused conection unit spured from the ring then feeding the outside lights(5 meters away fed with armoured cable) is this ok ??? or any other ideas?

ps it is to much hassle to take a feed from the mains.

thanks for any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
frankly that CU should be replaced anyway as all soclets that can feasiblly supply outdoor equipment should be on rcd

however a RCD fcu seems fine as an interim soloution until you get your CU replaced

is it safe to do so, its actually not for me its a friend. i dont think they particually want a upgrade

It's safe, i.e. it doesn't increase the danger.

You should plan to put a metal adaptable box next to the FCU, as you won't be able to terminate the SWA in a plastic one.

Sponsored Links
the outside lights will be fine
and i can't see how it can have any significan't effect on the safety of the existing wiring

i was goin to burst from behind the f/c/u to outside then into to a weather proof adaptable box, then the armoured. or will it be more practical inside?

ALSO! the aroured cable will then terminate into a weatherproof adaptable box in close proximity to the 4 lights(approx 2m apart in grass or gravel, most likely to be rock lights) what cable will be best used to feed these lights? will armoured have to be used??

You'll never get a good termination of swa into something like rock lights. Plus it will be too stiff to allow easy changes of position for the lights. Use arctic grade flex with good quality weatherproof glands at both ends.

if they are "rock lights,"
GGROK3.jpg
all that will be a waste of time, they are only 12 v

i think before you do the job you should find out what the lights are

breezer said:
if they are "rock lights," all that will be a waste of time, they are only 12 v

Good point Breezer, wonder where the transformer was going to go? And the switch, for that matter? As you suggest, a bit of planning might be in order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back