Outside: PVA first and then paint or the other way around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
we are renovating a 1960 house fitted with outside tiles on the walls.
We will have the house scaffolded for repairs to the roofing.
We want at the same time to repaint the tiles (red) which are now tired and put a layer of PVA (which, if I understand right, will help protect from water).
Should we first put the paint, wait for it to dry, and then put the PVA coating or should we do it the other way around?
We will do it ourselves so to save money ...
thank you !

Sponsored Links
Give the PVA a miss completely. Dunno where you got that info from.

I don't really know the best way for you to protect your tiles once you've painted them, maybe the painters on here can advise you, BUT NEVER EVER USE PVA OUTSIDE! because it just won't work. It's a total NO NO.

Good luck :)

thanks for that ... am I confusing with another product? that was mentioned by the builder? could that be HDA? is there any water repellent coating that can be put on tiles?
thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Never never never put PVA on a surface which you hope one day to paint.

There are still a few people who suggest it, but most of them have been murdered by angry decorators.

to be fair, may be I confused with stabilisant ...

should I first apply

Sandtex Stabilising Solution Clear 4L

and then paint, correct?

thank you!

the stabilising soluton is used on a surface which is loose and powdery.

Is yours?

well the tiles are somehow dusty - i believe they have never been treated over the past 50 years ... so should I use the stabilising solution?

rub them with your finger. Does the surface come away?

I'm reluctant to believe it needs stabilising solution.

yep

give a sugar-soap wash with a soft broom first and hose clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back