outside security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
cut to the chase.
i have an outside light which is corroded and now useless due to the fact my plumber fitted a boiler with the flu blowing hot damp air over the security lamp rendering it useless.
can i cut the 3 core cable where it comes out the wall and join another 2 3 cores and then run 1 cable to3 meters to left of where the cable comes through the wall and run the other 3/4 metres to the right of old lamp?is there any proper way to join an outside connection and is it ok 2 then have 2 security lamps running of the same switch.and if anybody can tell me of a manufacturer of good qaulity outside lamps which combine an energy saving bulb (which stays on at night) and a 150-500w flood light which comes on as the pir is activated.i know micromark make these but i wondered if any of you regulars and profeionals could advise of any other ideas/products.
regards trev

Sponsored Links
you can buy outdoor waterproof connection boxes which sounds like what your after, and yes it is fine to have two lights running off one source, just as your house is wired up, the same live runs to all lights, it`s just each is operated by a different switch, just turn the supply off before you cut the 3 core.........

Although the sheds still sell them, 500w floods cannot be fitted now without permission from building control. Its a little known rule, the total outdoor lighting for one domestic property cannot exceed 300 watts.

Anyway, I would have the dusk till dawn light higher than the others, to avoid it swithcing off unessecarily when the floods activate. Dont buy this from B&Q either, or anywhere they sell IQ stuff, its all carp.

Wire the fittings in black rubber flex, NOT twin and earth. Twin and earth degrades in UV light. MOST black flex doesn't, and it looks better too. Dont forget glands on your outdoor junction box. Get a nice big one (the size of a double socket) so you will have space for glands.

I havent seen those combined fittings for a while now. They are a good idea, but a waste when one part breaks (PIR/photocell/ballst) and you have to replce the lot. I would invest in seperate fittings for ease of replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back