OUTSIDE SIDE LIGHT DELIMA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and advice is greatly apprecited. Im thinking of installing an oustide light just outside my front door with a switch just inside the hall.

-My question is can I take the power from behind a wall socket, then chase the wires through the wall which will lead to a switch then to the light outside?

- Im not sure if the socket is a ring circuit or a radial circuit. Behind the back of the socket theres just one set of wires (2.5mm) live neutral and earth. The leads me to think its the end socket on a radial circuit. Would adding a light at the end of a radial circuit be overloading it? I have a number of doubel sockets in the room already.

- If i was to take power from behind the socket, is it ok to use 1.5m cable which would run to the switch then onto the light? this would leave me with 2.5 and 1.5 all connected in to the back of a wall socket?

- when the 1.5 cable goes into the wall switch should live go to common and neutral go to the one 1way or 2 way port?

ive tried this set up before ive chased all the walls out to hide the wiring, the light worked before I added the switch into the circuit. When I added the switch it kept tripping my consumer unit out so I thought id ask for a few wise words before I blew myself up and my house.
( i know i should really consult a professional )

Thanks for any replies.
Dude diy

Sponsored Links
powering from socket is not suitable ( unless via a fcu) a better option would be from the existing light circuit

Sounds like you should get someone in.

The socket MAY be on a radial but its more likely to be a spur from a ring so u wont be able to add anything to it without going through some technical hoops that (with respect) I would think are outside your competency level. I say that if you've found yorself unable to add a simple switch to a light without blowing fuses.

If you are wiring a light from the back of a socket it must be fused down to whatever the cable to the light can carry. 3A or 5A if you were going to use 1.5mm cable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the very quick response and sound advice. I know I should leave electrics to a professional. Think thats what ill do....whilst im on though. Ive also tried connecting to the lighting circuit but cant find the ring circuit, just the connections off it. 1 was leading to the hallway light fitting and the other to the switch. (Im not going to atempt this) but just wondered Is it possible to take powere from either of these. Put in a junction box, the lead of to my switch then like as above??... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back