Outside socket kit

Sponsored Links
It's a tacky product which would not exist if there was not this common misconception about a loophole in the Part P regulations.

From the Building Regulations:

“electrical installation” means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter;

So if you fix the socket, or fix the cable, then the fact that there's a plug on the other end of the cable is irrelevant - it's part of your installation, and therefore Part P applies.

The overriding factor should always be to do as good a job as possible. Even if this product was exempt, if it would not be the way you'd choose to provide an outside socket in the total absence of Part P, then it should not be the way you do it given Part P.

End of.

not an extension lead at all.. you have to wire the cable to the socket, and the cable to the rcd plug..

since this leaves 6 wires you can cock up the termination of it would need to be tested..

not sure if I agree with BAS's definition of an extension lead becoming part of the installation if you screw it to any wall.. but..

if you screw the socket to the wall outside, you're installing power in the garden and that's notifiable..

It's a tacky product which would not exist if there was not this common misconception about a loophole in the Part P regulations. (quote)
But where does this misconception come from is from joe public like myself or the retailers selling such articles.

Sponsored Links
It comes from the sort of people who regard any suggestion that one should read and come to understand the law as akin to suggesting one should have carnal relations with the devil, and who regard anybody who thinks that it is important to be clear about what the law says as a dangerous argumentative pedant.

... and who regard anybody who thinks that it is important to be clear about what the law says as a dangerous argumentative pedant.

if the cap fits BAS then you really should take pride in wearing it after all it`s a better fit than the hypercrite (sic) one your wearing at the moment..

so Mr armchair lawyer - define " fixed.." and the relationship between outside and fixed / terminated on the fabric of the building

does it help if I say please ?

Thanks - I'll have an electrician on site in the New Year for changes to the kitchen - I'll get him (or her) to add anm external socket at the the same time. I have a double socket in the lounge close to where I'd like the outside socket so I'm sure that will be the source via a switched fused spur. What IP rating are outside sockets these days? 55 or 65?

Cheers

what about the keyhole slot type things ? that permenant - genuine question

no because you don't have to remove the cover to dislocate it from the wall..

it is permanent however if the plug has to be removed to pass through a wall..

B&Q have a range of IP55 i gang sockets and switchs for a quid each i bought some and they look the same as the Clipsal IP55 range Screwfix sell.
Still the best outdoor socket is the MK Masterseal and well woth the extra cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back