Some additions to the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, excellent forum, i've got it bookmarked :)

I would like to fit a couple of sockets and a light in my loft. The sockets are for a TV aerial amplifier, and a rack server (its too darn noisy in here with my PC).

There are no sockets and as far as I am aware no ring main in the loft, just the upstairs lights circuit. The loft lamp should be easy enough to fit.

For the sockets, I understand I can fit a double from a spur coming from a lower bedroom socket. I'd rather not do that as I don't fancy all that drilling and plastering work :)

However, I understand I could just tap into the lights circuit and fit an FCU with suitable fuse for the TV amplifier and hardwire it permanently in place.

Can I also do this for my server? ie. hardwire the computers lead to an SFCU?

The server uses 190W maximum load. The TV amp a couple of watts. There are only 5 lamps upstairs and a bathroom fan. So, worst case scenario everything full load would be under 800W.

The only fly I can see is that the computer lead is a typical "kettle lead" and so even hardwired, there is nothing to stop some nutter taking a kettle full of water up there to boil! :LOL: However, the FCU should see to that.

So is this a legal, and "respectable" way of doing this?

Am also wondering if it is legit to just fit sockets to the lights circuit providing the sockets are protected by an FCU?

All advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You COULD put a socket on the lighting circuit, and indeed there is nothing in the regs to stop you doing this. However, your lighting circuit will probably be rated at 5 or 6 amps, which gives you 1150-1380 watts to play with. You could probably get away with what you plan, given that there usually isn't much load on an upstairs lighting circuit, but it is definitely not recommended, especially for the server. Aerial amp is ok on lighting circuit though.

The correct way is to take a spur from the socket circuit below and run the cable up to the loft. Doesn't have to be in the plaster, you can run it in trunking.

And do be aware that an uninsulated loft does experience extremes of temperatures - it gets very hot in summer (roof tiles absorb heat very well!) and very cold in winter. Humidity can also be a problem if he roof isn't ventilated well.

crafty1289 said:
And do be aware that an uninsulated loft does experience extremes of temperatures - it gets very hot in summer (roof tiles absorb heat very well!) and very cold in winter. Humidity can also be a problem if he roof isn't ventilated well.
Good point! The loft floor is insulated, not sure about the roof will go and have a look. I've got old computers that have been stored up there for >10 years which still work ok, however they aren't operating up there - just stored. I've not noticed any condensation and all my old paperwork and books are still fresh, no mould.

Servers operating temp is in the range 10C - 35C so I think I should be ok providing the roof is insulated.

crafty1289 said:
You COULD put a socket on the lighting circuit, and indeed there is nothing in the regs to stop you doing this. However, your lighting circuit will probably be rated at 5 or 6 amps, which gives you 1150-1380 watts to play with. You could probably get away with what you plan, given that there usually isn't much load on an upstairs lighting circuit, but it is definitely not recommended, especially for the server. Aerial amp is ok on lighting circuit though.
Yes, its on a 6A circuit, so I figure putting a 5A fuse in the FCU will cover all the bases.
The correct way is to take a spur from the socket circuit below and run the cable up to the loft. Doesn't have to be in the plaster, you can run it in trunking.
True - thinking about it I could also run a CAT5e cable up with it and have gigabit ethernet. I was originally going to use WiFi, but if a jobs worth doing... :)

Sponsored Links
Keep the cat5 away from the T&E , I know its twisted pair, but its probably best to avoid a 50hz signal supperimpossed ontop of the network data, lol

WiFi. . . . ouch! Wired networks will always be more reliable, faster, and just better to use!!!!! (thought i do have a wireless network, it is only for my sisters computer)

And Adam, you're being silly . . . i ran a length of Cat5 past our old rats nest Wylex wooden fuse box once! never had it working, mind, but it was there in case i needed it! ;) and in schools and offices, they always have cat5 and twin and earth in the same modular conduit!

crafty1289 said:
and in schools and offices, they always have cat5 and twin and earth in the same modular conduit!

Crafty..It is segregated in that type of conduit....

securespark said:
Crafty..It is segregated in that type of conduit....
just testing . . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops: :oops:

but surely long lengths of the conduit cancel out the 50mm or so separation?

And i know its probably DC, but the WiFi transmitter where i work has the power transmitted along the cat5 signal wire itself! (transformer and power duplexer/splitter at the ethernet hub end) Does DC create any magnetic field? Or is it interference free?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back