Outside tap, couple of questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question about an outside tap I've just had fitted. I'm worried about issues in the winter - the tap is above the pipe leading out, so when I turn off the isolation valve and open the tap...no water comes out, so essentially water is still going be trapped in there over the winter... is this going to be okay? should we not have a drain valve or something under the sink? (I've taken a pic and attached it of the set up)

Also please check the first photo I have attached, does the connection look okay on the pipe? I'm only asking as you can see quite a bit of the thread below the nut/valve! Does it need tightening or should it be ok?

Just worrying as I've had a flood before! Thanks for replying in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 531
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, the connection is ok, as long as there is no weeping from the joint.

Turn the water off and use the drain cock to empty the pipe, then close the isolator to the outside tap and turn the water back on. Or turn the isolator off and leave the outside tap open so if it freezes it has somewhere to expand to.

So it doesn't matter that it's not screwed up fully?

What's the drain cock?

Thanks!

Last edited:
No because there is an olive inside the nut preventing it from being screwed up completely. If tightened too much, the olive will split and then you would have a leak.

Sponsored Links
There is no double check valve. The taps with the internal DCV does not comply. I beleive.

In English:

There is no double check valve. The taps with the internal Double Check Valve does not comply. I believe:)

I believe what Fireman is hinting towards evan, though I am happy to be corrected and wouldn't wish to 2nd guess him, is that there is no double check valve on the pipework feeding your outside tap as integrated double check valve bib taps, according to arrowvalves, are no longer acceptable.

That being said though, I can't find anything from WRAS themselves in their updates, that the integrated double check valve bib tap is no longer acceptable, as long as it is frost protected.

Best practice would always be to fit an internal double check valve

Last edited:
Ha. To be fair, I thought I was as clear as you were. Without the PDF:)

I am not a plumber, but a GSE, so I am prepared to be corrected. I am under the impression that the DCV integral OS taps were outlawed some time ago, but it i occur to me that I may be wrong, whoch is why I added "I beleive"! I googled to find a reference to try to explain the DCV requirements, and the PDF was the first thing listed.

I can't find it either but, from memory, the regs. changed about 5 years ago and now specify that the double check valve must be within the building envelope.

Do you think the set up is okay? Is there anything I should get added/done? And how would I drain the drain cock?

Indeed Fireman, so did I but there seemed to be a little confusion :)

Evan, you need to ensure that there is a double check valve protecting the outside tap, best practice dictates that it should be on the pipe inside, after the isolation valve. I'd check with whoever installed the tap to confirm the tap has backflow protection or take a picture of the outside tap and post it and you will be advised.

If you google draincock/tap, that should show you how to use them, though if you're not sure, I always recommend you get a professional to show you how to use it correctly. You don't drain the drain cock, you drain the pipework via the draincock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back