Outside tap, couple of questions...

Indeed Fireman, so did I but there seemed to be a little confusion :)

Evan, you need to ensure that there is a double check valve protecting the outside tap, best practice dictates that it should be on the pipe inside, after the isolation valve. I'd check with whoever installed the tap to confirm the tap has backflow protection or take a picture of the outside tap and post it and you will be advised.

If you google draincock/tap, that should show you how to use them, though if you're not sure, I always recommend you get a professional to show you how to use it correctly. You don't drain the drain cock, you drain the pipework via the draincock
Picture now attached of the tap, what do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
OK, give us one side on, close to the tap. You need one that looks like this.

ae235

Note the raised section, with the small nut at the bottom of threaded connection at the back of the tap, this denotes the 2nd of the 2 check valves, doesn't look like yours has that. I've never seen a non verifiable check valve on an outside tap therefore I don't think yours is a double check valve version. Get them back to fit an internal double check valve to be sure.

Will the regulation police put you in jail if you don't? Hmmm... :p

Will it increase the chance of a leak if I don't have one? Or just a horrid death from contaminated water!? New pic attached:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
£50! Should I be worried? Aghhh
there lies the problem,
too do it right with a proper stopcock, internal double check valve , drain cock, lagging, clips etc, would cost you around £90 - £100 mark.

sadly for a lot of people nowadays, it's all about the price

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 109
£50! Should I be worried? Aghhh
there lies the problem,
too do it right with a proper stopcock, internal double check valve , drain cock, lagging, clips etc, would cost you around £90 - £100 mark.

sadly for a lot of people nowadays, it's all about the price

I mean I would of paid whatever I want it done right...so we don't have the double valve, is this thing ok to use? I'm mainly worried about a leak...should I get someone in to redo it?

The Double check valve is a backflow protection. In short, if a series of events coincided,foul water (say your hose is in a pond) could be sucked/siphoned back intothe mains. So it isn't just the householder that can be affected.

Personally, I would always have the water falling to the tap, which is what your original query was. In that way, you could isolate the tap, and open it, thus draining it. I also never use those isolation valves - always a full bore lever or a stopcock, unless appearance is King. That may be technically wrong, but I don't see why. Those cheap valves jam and leak too often for my comfort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back