Outside tap from toilet feed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EEFC1D2E-92B1-4DFA-B20A-94CC380650FA.jpeg
D3BA2A6A-420C-47A3-9EC6-0A53A5BBA066.jpeg
31B3B032-8E51-4747-B26C-D7413C6FC2CE.jpeg

I would like an outside tap for the front of the house. I have already made one for the back, where I tapped into the water supply under the kitchen sink which was relatively straightforward.
The one at the front is a little tricker. The tail that feeds the toilet is connected to a very short section of 15mm pipe that protrudes from the tiling.
For some reason there was already a 20mm hole through the wall on the opposite side of the toilet and I have purchased a through the wall garden tap connector which is 15mm.
I am trying to figure out the best way to do send water to both the toilet and the outside tap. Some sort of isolator would be great also. Then the shopping list required - as with stores shut I would have to purchase click and collect. What would you guys do here?

Sponsored Links
Where your existing pipe emerges from the wall, I would fit an elbow, exit pointing towards the second hole, so the new pipework would be hidden by the tank. I would then fit a T in that horizontal pipe, one input, two outputs. One output to feed your toilet, the other your new outdoor tap. I would fit an half turn isolating valve (2x) into each, so each could be turned off separately. Out through the wall to your new tap, I would want use another elbow, but some outdoor tap kits come with a flexible pipe, which may need to be on show inside.

Rather than compression fittings, I would use solder fittings where ever possible, because they are smaller, cheaper and neater.

Is there any play on that pipe feeding the toilet? If so I'd be looking at joining a decent fitting, if not then I'd be looking at (personally a soldered fitting) using a male thread elbow and go from there. Angled left as you're looking at it, a tee, isolation valve for toilet and connections to it, a full bore isolation valve for the garden tap, a double check valve for the garden tap and and elbow to join. Clipped pipework of course, and sleeved through the wall for garden tap.

Sponsored Links
Where your existing pipe emerges from the wall, I would fit an elbow, exit pointing towards the second hole, so the new pipework would be hidden by the tank. I would then fit a T in that horizontal pipe, one input, two outputs. One output to feed your toilet, the other your new outdoor tap. I would fit an half turn isolating valve (2x) into each, so each could be turned off separately. Out through the wall to your new tap, I would want use another elbow, but some outdoor tap kits come with a flexible pipe, which may need to be on show inside.

Rather than compression fittings, I would use solder fittings where ever possible, because they are smaller, cheaper and neater.

Thanks very much that makes sense. I have never soldered before always olives and compressions. How difficult is it and what kit?

Is there any play on that pipe feeding the toilet? If so I'd be looking at joining a decent fitting, if not then I'd be looking at (personally a soldered fitting) using a male thread elbow and go from there. Angled left as you're looking at it, a tee, isolation valve for toilet and connections to it, a full bore isolation valve for the garden tap, a double check valve for the garden tap and and elbow to join. Clipped pipework of course, and sleeved through the wall for garden tap.[/

there is zero play in that pipe. male thread Elbow it is. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Thanks very much that makes sense. I have never soldered before always olives and compressions. How difficult is it and what kit?

It is easy enough with the right kit and a little practice. Most of that can be made up and soldered on the bench. You will need a blowlamp, pot of flux and wire wool to clean up the ends before soldering, if using solder ring fittings - which are easiest type to use. You will need a roll of solder, for the none solder ring type fittings. Plenty of Youtube videos showing how to.

If you need to solder in close proximity to another surface, then that surface will need to be protected, you can get a cloth designed for that, or use a sheet of thin metal back with a wet cloth.

Using compression fittings is expensive and look untidy, but they are quick and easy for DIY with no kit. After my first few I bought the kit to enable me solder and never looked back. What you save on employing a plumber for just one small job, will pay for the kit, then you have it to hand for next time.

It is easy enough with the right kit and a little practice. Most of that can be made up and soldered on the bench. You will need a blowlamp, pot of flux and wire wool to clean up the ends before soldering, if using solder ring fittings - which are easiest type to use. You will need a roll of solder, for the none solder ring type fittings. Plenty of Youtube videos showing how to.

If you need to solder in close proximity to another surface, then that surface will need to be protected, you can get a cloth designed for that, or use a sheet of thin metal back with a wet cloth.

Using compression fittings is expensive and look untidy, but they are quick and easy for DIY with no kit. After my first few I bought the kit to enable me solder and never looked back. What you save on employing a plumber for just one small job, will pay for the kit, then you have it to hand for next time.
Sounds like a plan to me. Cheers for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back