1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Outside tap help what do i need to fix it

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by millym, 28 May 2019.

Tags:
  1. millym

millym

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi,
    I have an outside tap that had a ‘bit’ on the bottom of the pipe that sealed it so water ran thru the tap, every winter for years despite running water thru to empty pipe of water so cant freeze & turning tap off at mains this ‘bit ‘ has popped off, was no problem when i lived with my ex ....a plumber/ gas man ....he's now gone , please tell me what a ‘not a plumber person’ can fit on this to get the water running thru the tap again not the bottom of the pipe. Please see pic ! I dont want to have to call my almost besties Pimlico to fix this .....im sure i can do it!
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. NotSoNewboy

NotSoNewboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's not clear from your picture but it's probably a drain cock on the lowest section of the pipe - something like this.

[​IMG]

If all the parts are there then it may just need to be tightened / closed. There is probably a square spindle which needs to be tightened clockwise - a pair of grips but not much force.

If parts are missing then it's going to need some new bits.

3. undertrained

undertrained

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Agreed, either it’s the screwed in part that’s lost or not closed. A better quality close up photo might be able to know for sure.

4. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Although pic of the bottom of the pipe isn't very clear ,it appears to me to be nothing more than an open ended copper pipe . If so ,clean it with wire wool until bright and shiny for the last inch . If your plumbing skills are very limited you could just use a push fit stop end. Ideally it should have a drain cock fitted ,but that will require some tools and a bit of know how ,the push fit stop end needs no tools.

5. millym

millym

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh thanks the bottom of the pipe is just an open end it needs something to close it ‘- what is a push stop close end? It sounds like what i need - pic would be great or part number from ? screwfix thanks again or even drain cock pic? is that easy to fit im a nurse can do plumbing with sick people not copper pipes

• Like Like x 1
  6. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    screwfix code 40223 ( pack of two ).
    Stop Ends ,plastic ,push fit.
    After cleaning smooth the pipe end with wire wool ,the stop end is just pushed onto the pipe . Its that easy !

7. undertrained

undertrained

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I believe @NotSoNewboy posted a drain cock pic.

I would suggest the following: not to fit a stop end (dead leg), all pipe work should be inside really, to prevent against freezing and undue warming as per the water regulations.

8. millym

millym

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all for your great help ! Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you can get a green scourer and clean up the bottom part of the pipe and/or then take a close up pic from under the pipe to let us see it properly?

You can't see an outlet on the bottom of the pipe, so there may not have been a drain tap attached.

10. Bosswhite

Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As you say you are limited and not a "plumber person" maybe this drain off valve would be easier to fit, you will need a blank cap on one end, all you need to do iis give the bottom pipe a clean off to bright metal slide the fitting on and tighten with spanners. Making sure the olive is fully on the pipe .

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    screwfix 64472 is a blank cap that goes under the nut in place of the loose ring (olive)