Outside tap help what do i need to fix it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I have an outside tap that had a ‘bit’ on the bottom of the pipe that sealed it so water ran thru the tap, every winter for years despite running water thru to empty pipe of water so cant freeze & turning tap off at mains this ‘bit ‘ has popped off, was no problem when i lived with my ex ....a plumber/ gas man ....he's now gone , please tell me what a ‘not a plumber person’ can fit on this to get the water running thru the tap again not the bottom of the pipe. Please see pic ! I dont want to have to call my almost besties Pimlico to fix this .....im sure i can do it!
Thanks

Attachments

• 6C66DB6A-554F-4CDE-98F7-1795DE67BDC7.jpeg
    6C66DB6A-554F-4CDE-98F7-1795DE67BDC7.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
It's not clear from your picture but it's probably a drain cock on the lowest section of the pipe - something like this.

ae235

If all the parts are there then it may just need to be tightened / closed. There is probably a square spindle which needs to be tightened clockwise - a pair of grips but not much force.

If parts are missing then it's going to need some new bits.

Agreed, either it’s the screwed in part that’s lost or not closed. A better quality close up photo might be able to know for sure.

Although pic of the bottom of the pipe isn't very clear ,it appears to me to be nothing more than an open ended copper pipe . If so ,clean it with wire wool until bright and shiny for the last inch . If your plumbing skills are very limited you could just use a push fit stop end. Ideally it should have a drain cock fitted ,but that will require some tools and a bit of know how ,the push fit stop end needs no tools.

Sponsored Links
Oh thanks the bottom of the pipe is just an open end it needs something to close it ‘- what is a push stop close end? It sounds like what i need - pic would be great or part number from ? Screwfix thanks again or even drain cock pic? is that easy to fit im a nurse can do plumbing with sick people not copper pipes

Screwfix code 40223 ( pack of two ).
Stop Ends ,plastic ,push fit.
After cleaning smooth the pipe end with wire wool ,the stop end is just pushed onto the pipe . Its that easy !

Oh thanks the bottom of the pipe is just an open end it needs something to close it ‘- what is a push stop close end? It sounds like what i need - pic would be great or part number from ? Screwfix thanks again or even drain cock pic? is that easy to fit im a nurse can do plumbing with sick people not copper pipes

I believe @NotSoNewboy posted a drain cock pic.

I would suggest the following: not to fit a stop end (dead leg), all pipe work should be inside really, to prevent against freezing and undue warming as per the water regulations.

If you can get a green scourer and clean up the bottom part of the pipe and/or then take a close up pic from under the pipe to let us see it properly?

You can't see an outlet on the bottom of the pipe, so there may not have been a drain tap attached.

As you say you are limited and not a "plumber person" maybe this drain off valve would be easier to fit, you will need a blank cap on one end, all you need to do iis give the bottom pipe a clean off to bright metal slide the fitting on and tighten with spanners. Making sure the olive is fully on the pipe .

shopping

As you say you are limited and not a "plumber person" maybe this drain off valve would be easier to fit, you will need a blank cap on one end, all you need to do is give the bottom pipe a clean off to bright metal slide the fitting on and tighten with spanners. Making sure the olive is fully on the pipe .

shopping
Screwfix 64472 is a blank cap that goes under the nut in place of the loose ring (olive)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back