Outside Tap in garage, frost protection

KFZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Newbie here, post one.

Looking for some advice re fitting of a new outside tap in a garage. The garage is an outbuilding and unheated. Ive started plumbing in plastic lately and find it much much easier and more watertight.

I intend to lag the pipes still concerned that with the very cold winter we have been having it will still freeze it.

Is there any way I can fit a bleed valve to the top of the system with a stop cock that will allow me to drain down the system? Just peace of mind.

Is copper or plastic more frost resistant?

Thanks in advance.

Kev

Sponsored Links
afaik plastic is more frost resistant
(it's flexible and less conductive of heat / cold)

it depends on how you've got it plumbed but you should be able to drain down, maybe even as simple as a second tap near to where the pipe exits the ground??

the run to the garage, if trenched deep enough, shouldn't ever freeze,
otherwise the waterboard would be replacing pipe runs to houses every bad winter. (don't know depth required, sure someone else will advise)

if you can keep the above ground pipe as short as you can, you'll reduce the risk
(i.e. bend straight up out the ground to the tap, don't go routing around the wall if you can help it)

don't forget to put a double check valve (non return) before either the tap (or taps) or the pipe run.

• Thanks
Reactions: KFZ
Thanks. The garage already has water supply so its just a matter of breaking into that line. I will keep the runs plastic and indoors and let the tap poke out the outside wall. In fact thinking about it I could even install the tap inside the garage since modern hose connectors are so good and its going to be on the hose 99% of the time anyway.

If I lag it and install a stop cock at the top (the runs enters the garage via a large conduit at single story roof height. No need for a trench. I can drain it down if I need too. Or will it airlock the water stay in the pipe?

Not sure what the check vale is for, what the theory behind that? How can it syphon back when there is mains pressure against, have to be a large head of water to overcome it???

Thank again.

Kev

is the garage attached to the house then?

going on what you've said, yes a stop cock as it enters the garage with a drain cock after it to remove your airlock

check valve is to prevent syphoning in cases where there is a fault with the supply (i.e. complete pressure loss), most taps will come with the check valve internally now but make sure it does. there are even check valves on flexible shower hoses (if immersed in a bath for instance)

Sponsored Links
Yea, big conduit pipe about 6ft long at head height.

Oh I see, fit a stop cock and drain valve at the top, Stop it off then open the drain and it will empty out. Superb! Didnt think if that!

Oh its if the mains goes off! Makes sense. I think your right most of the decent tapes have them built in.

Cheers!!
Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back