Boiler in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, newbie here and clueless I'm afraid.

We are looking at getting a new central heating system put in, and the plumber has suggested the best place for the new boiler is in the garage, on an outside wall.

I'm not convinced (but hey what do I know)! I'm concerned about freezing pipes if we have a snowy winter again, and with the frost protection that the boiler will be turning on a lot of the winter overnight.

What are your opinions on boilers in garages, any advantages or disadvantages? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the garage attached to the house?
If so it's common, though pipes are hardly ever properly insulated.

Make sure he sleeves the pipes into the house, it give them a bit more protection.

You can always build a small cupboard around the boiler, to keep it a bit warmer, and handy for storing stuff at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Frost stat with pipe stat, if it "does" come on, it wont be on for long, also if it's a combi with a DHW preheat, the boiler will stay warm anyway, garage, good place for it, out the way and easy maintenance.

Thanks everyone.

Garage is half integral, boiler would be on outside wall in non-integral bit near the door. There is an old car in the garage which does not move, so it won't be that easy when access is required.

Don't think we will go for a combi boiler, but not 100% decided.

I guess I was worried because I was looking at a plumbing forum (can't remember which it was) and the plumbers were saying most of their work last winter was caused by frozen pipes from boilers in garages!

If you go the combi road, consider how far away the draw-offs are.

If access is limited, can he install the boiler.

I guess I was worried because I was looking at a plumbing forum (can't remember which it was) and the plumbers were saying most of their work last winter was caused by frozen pipes from boilers in garages!

This will have been the condense pipes freezing up, not as serious as a burst mains or heating pipe. Just makes sure it's ran in 32mm and is lagged. You can even get thermostatic heating elements to wrap around them now.

Definately use Fernox Alphi Inhibitor with Antifreeze in the Primary Circuit,
Last winter we were treading around in a Foot of Snow in East Anglia, did lots of Boiler Breakdowns on outdoor and Garage located Boilers but NOT ONE FROZEN PIPE!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back