Outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, although I will not be fitting the outside tap myself, could somebody please point out what I should or shouldn't be asking for when I call someone out to fit it. It will be directly the other side of my outside kitchen wall, so the pipes will be easily accessible for the plumber.

Are there any particular problems that I should be aware of and how can I ensure that the plumber does a decent job when I don't know the first thing about fitting an outside tap?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanking you

Carrie

Sponsored Links
Fitting an outside tap is one of the simplest plumbing jobs there is. Its a shame you are not going to have a go yourself. there are 'no plumb' kits around you only have to drill the hole in the wall and fix the tap to the wall. The water connection is made with a self tapping clamp.
Anyway if you are going to get a plumber in make sure you get a quote FIRST. Better still, ask around for a recommendation.
The only thing to do other than that is to ensure a tap with a non return valve is fitted - It's a regulation.

Hope this helps - Chippie

Thanks for that Chippie. I will have a think about doing it myself, but I don't think I'm that confident. I'll worry in case I drill through the pipes under the sink!

I did get a quote yesterday and it was £85. It seems a lot of money for just an outside tap. :(

Thanks again

Carrie

£85.00 Doesn't sound too bad if the guy is reg. for VAT and if he's got any amount of work he will be, £12.66 will be the VAT, Tap (with valve), wall plate, isolating valve, pipe and fittings would be around £10.00 (trade) That leaves him with £62.34 to pay for his time, van, insurance, consumables and fixed overhead!

Don't sound bad to me - Just make sure he's driving a van - and not riding a horse!!

BTW, If you give him the job, tell him he owes me a drink!!

Chippie

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for replying Chippie, I will possibly go with the plumber I mentioned (but I will still try and get a cheaper quote! :)

I won't forget to tell him he owes you a drink!

Take care

Carrie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back